1. uncertainty of things

Seo Woojin adjusted his tie and checked himself one last time in the mirror. The black suit that he was asked to wear fit him perfectly—it was from one of the most expensive fashion houses in the world, a suit fit for a royal blood like him. Grabbing the lint brush on the table beside the mirror, he put it one last time on his shoulders, and declared himself ready.

But ready for what?

To cry? To grieve?

Expressing his feelings isn't his best suit. In the palace, he has heard people talk behind his back on how he would make the worst king—if it ever comes to that because of his being cold and emotionless.

Maybe they're right. Maybe he's set to become the worst king in the history of their nation.

"Sir, the King is asking for you." A knock caught his attention. He nodded and heaved deep breaths. His relationship with his father isn't the best, nor it was bad. Growing up as the "spare," all the attention was given to his now late brother.

Ribbon-cutting ceremonies? Dongwon must cut it, not Woojin. Accompanying the King in meeting world delegates? Dongwon gets to be introduced first, not him. He's the heir and Woojin is the spare, it was just right for him to get the attention.

Now today is just one of those days. All eyes of the world are on Dongwon and his family again. A sudden trip to the province in this cold and icy weather? What was his brother thinking?

The past days had been difficult for their family. Woojin had to process everything that happened after that accident.

But today, he's most concerned about his father.

They say children usually survive their parents, but when it's the other way around, the pain is immeasurable.

All the more for his father who lost his heir. All the more for his father who lost his favourite child.

A royal guard announced Woojin's arrival at his father's study—it was a large room with lots of wooden antiques and a mahogany desk with the "blue box" atop it. Piles of letters and papers were taken out and splayed on top of the desk.

Woojin's father, King Yonggun, wore his glasses as he read the newspaper—of course, the front page is today's state funeral for his older brother.

"This will be the last day you'll be my second son. Cry it out and honor your brother, but from tomorrow onwards, remember, you are now the heir apparent." His father said, slowly saying his words one by one.

"Understood, Sir."

"Your duty will always be to the Royal Family of Korea, remember that."

Woojin nodded.

"You will need a successor as soon as possible."

"But, Father..."

"Your brother might have died together with his bride, but the alliance should not stop from there." From the way his father spoke this, it must have looked like he's working for some big shot corporation. It's true though—the way he ran the whole country made him seem like some CEO of a conglomerate. Everything about his politics spoke of alliance and building relationships.

"Father, what do you mean..."

"The alliance will stand, and you will marry Cha Family's second daughter."

"I don't understand... you mean Cha Myeorim noona's younger sister?"

"You probably haven't met this beautiful girl, have you?"

***

Cha Eunjae wiped the tears that rolled down to her cheeks as the eulogy for her departed sister started. The funeral service was graced with their close relatives and friends—all of whom wanted to pay their respects and honour her sister's memory.