4. adjustment period

Cha Eunjae

"We'll sleep together from now on..." His words echoed on my mind as I looked at my reflection in the mirror. Jinjung, my reliable lady-in-waiting, was combing my hair, making sure the curls at the ends were perfectly bouncy. Although unspoken between us, I also had this hidden desire to look good tonight. I'm finally sharing the bed with my husband, and I still truly don't know when we should do it.

That stuff has been the topic lately of many conversations inside the palace that my mind automatically shuts down the moment someone mentions it. For this matter, it's my father-in-law, the King, who mostly starts the conversation. You need to produce an heir as soon as possible. Strengthen the line of succession, blah, blah, blah.  Breakfasts, lunches, dinners—there is always a way for him to inject this as we talk. I would quickly glance over to the opposite site, checking my husband's reaction, but that would just mean a blank expression. Whatever is going on his mind will always be a mystery to me.

"Would you be a dear and bring me a first aid kit?" I asked Jinjung. While I have been consistent in explaining to her that I didn't need all those—that I am perfectly capable of doing everything a woman of her age must do to take care of herself—the young woman is also consistent in pointing out that it's part of her job, and that it's my privilege as a princess.

"Does this mean the Prince likes you?" Now this one seemed to be a chatterbox—I'm thankful that I have Jinjung to walk me through what to expect in my new life as a princess—but sometimes, I wish she would shut up. Not that I don't appreciate her friendly approach and the initiative to help, but I actually prefer keeping things about me and my husband private. Whatever it is that is happening and not happening between us, is no one else's concern.

The young woman combed my hair smoothly, a few locks fell down just above my shoulder. This should be fine, I think I look okay now.

"I don't know." I said curtly and shortly. Jinjung sensed I'm not up for small talk and immediately excused herself to bring me the first aid kit I requested.

I stood up and scanned herself in the mirror again.

If he likes me, good. If he doesn't, so be it.

All my life I had been controlled by others—my parents, my family—I've barely lived for herself. Earlier in the morning, I received a text from my mother checking in on things—and asking if there's any development on seducing the prince. Annoyed, I put off replying to her text message.

That night, the choice of weapon was an olive green silk nightdress that highlighted my curves and made my nipples stand out as these hardened against the cold weather. My silky smooth skin made a good luster against the colour of my night clothes, and my hair was combed nicely to complement my soft features.

It was the perfect timing when Jinjung left the medical kit on my bedside. Woojin also entered our bedroom, already in his pyjamas. I suddenly felt nervous. I didn't know what to do.

He lingered a look at me, and I was more conscious. My voice box was itching, I couldn't bring myself to speak to acknowledge his presence. It was cold but there was this thick atmosphere whenever he's in the room. Or maybe it's only on my side. He sat down with a book on his hand and I gathered the courage to take the kit and sit next to him. Woojin looked at me from head to toe, seemingly surprised of my move.

"Let me see the wound." Turned out I still have a voice. I faked the commanding tone. He needed to listen and follow me. He took a hit earlier this morning and he spent the whole day worrying about me that I don't think the adhesive bandage beneath his lip has been already replaced.

"It's nothing, you shouldn't—"

I didn't budge and instead I opened the kit, arranging the tools and the stuff I needed—cotton, fresh band-aid, alcohol... The sound of these being arranged and Woojin didn't hold the power to stop me anymore.