Chapter 1

The sign in the window read: Helicopter Ride Over New York. Purchase tickets now! I'd been eyeing off those tickets for two weeks. Navi, my best friend, had come along with me to the Tour Agency, so that I could finally get one. She nudged me in the side, smiling as she did so.

"Can you believe it?" she asked. "You're buying the ticket! You know how much you've talked about it over the past couple of weeks?" I couldn't quite believe I was here. I had just enough money without my mom's help to afford it. I took a deep breath.

"Is this a dream?"

She shook her head and linked her arm through mine. "C'mon, let's get you that ticket." I nodded and we stepped through the front entrance. Heading up to the counter, I couldn't help the grin that was creeping onto my face. I'd always wanted to go on a helicopter ride over our city. Especially at night-time, the lights would be beautiful. There was a boy who was in front of me in the line, but all I could think about was how I was one step away from buying my once-in-a-lifetime experience. When the boy was making his way to the exit, I saw the ticket in his hand. He had bought the same one I wanted.

I practically jumped up to the counter. "Hello, may I please purchase the helicopter ride ticket?" The cashier looked at me, slowly.

"Sorry, the last one was just sold," she said. "There was only a limited amount of them. We like to give people three months' notice for the experience, so therefore the tickets can only be sold three months' prior."

"Are you serious?" I asked. "No, no, no, this can't be happening." I felt myself trying to hold it together but failing to do so. I made a beeline for Navi, who was standing to the side of the line.

"Well, Madi?"

"They sold out," I said. "It's over, my dream's crushed."

"Oh..." She wrapped her arm around my shoulders, and we went outside. "This sucks, Mad. I'm so, so, sorry." I took another deep breath to calm my stormy feelings. It wasn't the end of the world, right? There'd be other opportunities. Except for the fact I was telling myself only minutes ago it was going to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I covered my mouth, to stop myself from sobbing.

"I really thought it was going to happen, Navi," I said. "I thought I was going to be flying over New York." I couldn't keep everything inside anymore. She sighed sadly and tugged on my arm.

"Let's go." It was only then that I realised the boy who had purchased the last ticket was still standing outside the Agency, watching me. I looked at him, then followed Navi.

A few minutes later, I heard hurried footsteps behind us.

"Excuse me," said an almost raspy voice. "Miss?" I turned around and saw the boy who had the ticket.

"I couldn't help but overhear your conversation," he said. "So, I want you to have this." He handed me the helicopter ticket.

"What?" I asked. "That's yours." He shook his head, standing firm on his word.

"I want you to have it."

"Oh no, I couldn't possibly..." I said. Navi pulled a face at me, as if to say, 'take it!'. He wasn't leaving, and I knew I would have to make a decision.

"You want it more than me, so here you go," he said, stepping forward and virtually forcing me to take the ticket. I was frozen in position and before I knew it, my dream was in my hand. He walked backwards, waiting for me to say something.

"You're seriously giving this to me?" I asked.

"Yeah."  

"I feel bad, I can't take your ticket," I said. He looked down at the ground, then back up at me. His eyes were a dark grey colour, and his messy black hair had a squiggle at the front.