A Note to All

Key Facts:

- Nigeria is one of 71 nations where consensual same-sex conduct is illegal, and one of it's sub-region, northern nigeria, is one of 11 countries in the world that imposes death penalty on offenders (source: humandignitytrust.org).

- In 2014, a former president, Goodluck Jonathan, signed a bill that criminalizes same-sex relationships. The bill was made into a law that stated that individuals who are caught in same-sex activity are liable to 14years imprisonment. This law stands till date.

- Nigeria is the most homophobic country in the world, according to a 2013 poll, which found 97 percent of citizens think society should not accept homosexuality.

- Nigeria ranks top ten as one of the countries with the most Christianity and Muslim population (paw research).

As a queer Nigerian living in Nigeria, I've witnessed and heard instances of queer people being brutalized and mistreated simply for being who they are. Many people have been thrown out into the street by their parents because they identify as LGBTQ+; others have been forced to undergo conversion therapy (also known as deliverance) by relatives in order to rid themselves of the 'demon' of queerness. People have died trying to live, others locked up. Some have been killed in extreme situations, while others have been imprisoned.

Many LGBTQ+ Nigerians who have been abused are unwilling to speak up. The majority of people are afraid of being ridiculed or, worse, jailed if they speak up. LGBTQ+ persons have no rights, and when people aren't recognized, all other rights become meaningless. Nobody deserves to be treated and live this way.

It is all of these that birth the inspiration behind this novel.

Trigger warning ⚠️: this book will contain abuse, homophobia, and mental health issues.