00. introduction

❛ ¡¡¡ ꒰ 🔦 ꒱ 𝐁𝐀𝐁𝐘𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑 ⵓ 𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑟𝑜𝑑𝑢𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛

SEED.
▬▬

"I have a mission for you— you might even consider it as your most important task yet."

[Reader] lifted her bottom lip at the declaration, a click almost sounding at the back of her throat. She wanted to challenge Magath's claim with a reminder of all the important roles she had served for the sake of an undesired war— a war no one wanted to die for— but she held back the urge, curious as to what he had to add.

"There have been rumors about a community of Eldians wanting to rise against the government," he paused, stealing a glance at the Eldian girl herself. Once he saw no falter, he continued with his delivery, a scowl now etching on his face. "We have received news that an uprising might be on the way soon, but we still have no clear proof. We need you to tail one of the supposed leaders."

She frowned. "If it's so important then why am I appointed with it?"

"I knew you'd ask that," he sighed. Magath walked to his desk, picking up a packet of papers. Flipping the pages with the edge of his thumb, he stopped once he caught sight of what he was looking for. "We have other soldiers assigned for the other leaders. It's a whole team working on this in different areas all at once."

"Okay... Then who am I to investigate?"

"Grisha Jaeger."

[Reader] paused at the name, a whirl of sour memories resurfacing. She glanced at the chief for reassurance for her puzzling thoughts, earning a chuckle instead as he finds humor in the expression.

"Yeah," he confirms as he takes a step closer to her, extending the file out. "Zeke's father."

The edge of [Reader]'s mouth retreats at the name, almost causing her to bite the inside of her cheek. It had been years since she had come to know of the man, and it was only normal that she tried to avoid it ever since she first had a conversation with him.

So, when she heard the four-lettered name unbelievably sound from her commander's mouth, she almost barked at the threat. Zeke had only been trouble for her since she began with her military career, and she wasn't about to ruin her lucky streak with the mess that was the warrior candidate.

[Reader] took the folder but didn't open it, deciding to hang it by her side. "Why should I be the one to complete this job?" She sits down on one of the sofas, placing the folder on the spot beside her. "My work as a captain alongside you doesn't include outside missions like this."

The chief remains standing, his dark eyes following her. Had it been any other soldier, he would have immediately cornered them with the poor word choice, intimidating a mere Eldian to speak in such manner once again. However, he knew this wouldn't work with her— and he didn't want to waste energy attempting to either.

Instead, he walked to the opposing couch and rested down on it with a glare. "Of course, you'll be repaid by your work— only when you fulfill it."

"And what will that be?"

He almost couldn't hold back the simper, his frame coming forward as his elbows rested over his knees. "You'll be graced with the title of Honorary Marleyan," a laugh escaped through his sneer. "That's how important it is to contain this flame."

"Ah," [Reader] smiled, her teeth presenting her delight. "Well, that changes everything."

━━━━━━━━
×××× ˗ˏˋ 𖥸 ˎˊ˗ ××××