Chapter 2

CRAP. Did I say TWO HOURS?
"My friends will be looking for me," I said, suddenly recalling their existence.
His shoulders shook twice in a silent laugh.

"Oh, right, you were lost," he taunted me with his eyes.

"Alright, alright," I said, slightly offended.

He nudged me with his hip and took my hand. I rubbed small circles with my thumb. He led me down the alley.

"So," I began. "what exactly, how exactly, what exactly is this?" I raised out intertwined hands as evidence.

He sighed.
"Where were you supposed to meet your friends?"

"The little restaurant by the book store. Pshh," i said, suddenly annoyed. "New York? I can handle it, but bring me to freaking Tennessee and God forbid, I almost get mugged," I ranted.

"I would hardly call this a mugging, Jayde," Johnson muttered, suddenly serious again.

I stopped. "Jayde? That reminds me! You called me Jay earlier. My nickname? Yeah, and then Jayde just a second ago. So, another question asked too late, how do you know my name?"
He narrowed his eyes at me and opened his mouth, and then closed it.

"I don't know where to begin," he murmured, looking vexed.

"The beginning?" I urged him continue with my eyes.

He started walking again; so did I.

"We've met before," he whispered and eyes as if he were waiting for something to happen.

I arched an eyebrow. "No, I'm actually quite sure that we haven't," I said, working to keep my tone light.

"Not here," he said, still whispering as if someone would hear.

"Not anywhere," I countered, struggling to catch his point.

He dropped my hand as if it had shocked him.

"I can't do this," he told me, his voice strained.

"Do what?" I almost whined.

"Keep straight, turn left, and then right, and you should be there. I have to go. I'll see you-- later." He turned and jogged off.

Later? Yeah he said that with a lot of conviction. I squinted my eyes and searched for him a moment longer.

"Johnson!" I called, no response.

Confused as ever, I followed his directions and made it around the corner just as my friends Jax and Wayla were coming out of the restaurant. Relief flooded through me, followed by surprise.

And hurt.

And denial.

And acceptance.

My two best friends in the entire world--- the ones who I'd told everything to for as long as I could remember-- were stopped outside the car, kissing.

Kissing.