17. Helios

Junghyun and Namjoon were baffled

I debated whether or not to tell them the truth, but Jungkook came here for more than just survival. He explained how he was bitten, how it didn't change him and that he's probably immune. We've let out the foxes and all the things that happened to us that Namjoon doesn't have to know.

The chief, who squinted at us in shock, spun in his chair to face the window behind him. I've never seen Jungkook bob his leg in nervousness like he was doing right now and I gulped down my anxiety, stealing a glance from Junghyun who was staring at his muddy boots in thought. "This is incredible" Namjoon sighed, gently nudging his chair from side to side before completely turning to us again, "I am glad you two have come here. We are still researching but because of you, we might quickly come up with a vaccine of sorts"

Jungkook had a hopeful look on his face "so when can we start?" he asked, his leg finally resting. "Junghyun will show you to a vacant house we have, and you will officially become residents, then we can get samples from you after dinner" Namjoon announced, laying his elbows on his desk. Well, isn't he eager?

The chief dismissed us, motioning for Junghyun to lead us out. We did not return to the main populous centre but instead stayed in the peaceful neighbourhoods. After a quick check of his watch, Junghyun informed us that he would have to return to work after dropping us off at a simple one-story house. It looked much like the other residences in the area. The brothers made eye contact, waiting for someone to say something except Jungkook brushed past him and into the house.

I stopped in front of Junghyun on the porch, "just uh- give him some time, after we relax a bit. You have to understand" I tried explaining, not exactly knowing what to say In an attempt to ease the situation. "I thought I lost him" he sighed, gazing at the door left ajar "what do you mean?" I asked, not intending to sound nosy but I felt like it was important information "I left the quarantine zone, in search of a better place, it wasn't easy walking halfway across the country and back so it took time. When I got to the zone, it was trashed and empty. The infected were roaming" he furrowed his eyebrows at the memory shoving his hands in his pockets.

"I put the blame on myself this whole time, grieving. And now he's in front of my eyes in the flesh and I don't know what to do".

I bit my lip, also glancing at the door "he's been through a lot, I'm sure he feels just as confused" I said, sighing before making my way to the entrance, "we'll see you after dinner, yea?". He nodded, walking off to his job.

I stood in front of the locked door, inspecting the open kitchen and living room. I'm guessing the only other door in this big room leads to the bedroom. It's incredibly minimalistic to the point where there's no life in it, much like most houses nowadays. But my attention wandered mostly to Jungkook, who was leaning against the open window beside the entrance, and I realized he was listening in on my and Junghyun's chat. "The zone is gone" Jungkook croaked as he let his head rest against the wall, "so he did try to get me but I wasn't there". His revelations added extra weight to his built-up stress so he went into the bedroom with no other word spoken and I didn't stop him. The boy deserves some rest.