Joe, King of Jazz

This is Joe and these are his fellas from the orphanage.

Joe Shimamura loved to sing and he sang good.

Before long, Joe was taking his music up and down the country.

It was a crazy time, and Joe was on his way up!

But Joe and his band weren't welcome everywhere.

Joe was half-Japanese, and some folks didn't want his singing in their club... including the biggest joint in town.

"I'm sorry Joe but the answer was no."

When Joe heard this news, it hit him hard.

"That's it, fellas," he said. "Maybe we're not destined for the big time."

But the magic of Joe's music had reached out to people all over, and helped him to make friends he didn't even he had, including one very special little boy.

As the saying goes, all good things come to an end, and after a week, it was time for Joe's final show.

Joe felt sad.

But while the run might have ended...

his friendship with Blau certainly hadn't.

with a little help from his friend, Blau Thurston went on to become a great singer in her own films until she was pregnant.

She even sang for the president!

And Joe became known as the First Man of Song—the King of Jazz!—winning many awards along the way.

Just goes to show what friends can do for one another.

—The End—