Prologue

Eyes. Dark black eyes stared at her through the darkness. She knew those eyes, but she didn't know them all at the same time.

She had been dreaming of a life she'd never have, dreaming of an escape from the monotony of being so human.

——

He was watching her the same way he always had. She remembered their life together in short fragments that had his heart swelling with hope, but then she'd forget again.

She had met him several times, and each time she had asked for his name with her head cocked to the side.

He always gave her his name as if they'd never met before, and then he would ask for hers. He had tried asking her out to coffee a few times, but she had declined saying she needed to study or go home and take care of her brother.

Her brother was another issue all together because he remembered everything, but he refused to tell her. "Give her time," he would say as if they had all of the time in the world. "She will remember."

And she would. She would stare with recognition in her eyes, and she would allow only one tear to fall from her eyes. Then she would blink and it'd all be over. The cycle had continued on like that for 26 years.

It was on her and her brothers 27th birthday that she came stumbling into his home clutching at her head.

"Jungkook," she cried out. "Take me home."