One Step Closer 1/2

For FridayGirl80

"I'd love to."

"Yeah?" Bradley sounds surprised. "If you're not bogged down by too much stuff while you're here..."

The on coming sunlight makes her squint, even with the protection of glasses and she pulls down the visor, coasting along the stretch of highway.

It seemed like they always caught each other on the run lately. She'd be driving or heading to a meeting, he would be taking Gloria to a doctor's appointment or on the way to the gym. It's hard to recall the last time they had a conversation that lasted longer than ten minutes. At least the text messages were fairly frequent, a remnant from the old days.

"No, no, I want to. Do you know how long it's been since I've actually seen your face?"

"Quite awhile. You've had press and the premiere. And it'll be Christmas before we know it."

She taps her acrylics against the column of the steering wheel, cursing loudly when a Sonanta veers abruptly into her lane.

"Sorry."

"Should I let you go?"

"It's fine. You know how the 101 is. Fucking mess."

"I don't miss it."

In the background, she can hear him pouring what was likely a second or third cup of coffee and it makes her smile. Bradley was a creature of habit.

"So, yeah. I'm gonna pop in to see my family first and then I'll come by for the screening. Did you say it was at 9?"

"Yeah. Just shoot me a message when you get there and I'll make sure you get in okay."

He gets quiet in that way he does and she pictures him closing his eyes, lost in thought.

"Thank you for coming. It means a lot to me."

"Of course. Thanks for inviting me. I can't wait."

They hang up and she yanks her AirPods out, tossing them on the passenger seat. She isn't in a real rush, but sitting in traffic tends to make her squirm. Gives her too much time to think.

The last time she'd seen him was during the summer. She and Michael were on the verge of ending things... he'd been staying at his own place most of the week by then. Bradley's presence in Malibu had been a welcome one. He always managed to make things better somehow.

She leans on an elbow, foot heavily on the brake. A sweat has broken out on her neck, recalling the ridiculous sexual tension between, the flirtatious banter. It wasn't anything new; they'd always straddled that line. There had been a period, which seemed like an entire lifetime ago where it looked as though they were heading down a certain path. It was only the mutual fear of fucking up their amazing friendship that kept them from pursuing anything.

It hadn't gone beyond some heavy kissing that summer, but she was guilty over not only how easily it could have evolved into more, but because of how much she'd wanted it to.

By the time she pulls into the lot of the studio, she's drenched in a full body sweat. It's situations like these where she wishes she hadn't dropped Patrizia's (and her) vice of smoking because a cigarette would really only help matters.

Bobby meets her at the door, opening for her. He takes one look at her and grabs her oversized purse to hold, his hand resting on her back.

"What's up?"

She smirks, pausing in the long hallway. "You got all day?"

"I do, actually. Are you hurting?"

He's glancing her over and she's aware she must look like a perspiring mess.