one

The first time Mark meets Donghyuck, he's in 5th grade, a fresh face in a cramped room. Blue braces scrape the inside of his cheeks and thick-rimmed glasses sit on the bridge of his nose as he stands in front of the class, palms damp with sweat.

"M-My name is Lee Minhyung. I transferred from Canada. It's nice to meet you."

The teacher flashes a tight smile at the awestruck students, cueing applause in the room. She guides him to his seat with a warm hand on his back, and he already feels his neck growing hot at the stares from the other students around him.

It's when the teacher sits him at his desk that a person finally speaks up.

"Hey! I really like your necklace!"

Mark turns to the voice next to him and jumps in his seat, glasses nearly touching the person standing before him. Grabby hands and big brown eyes sparkling with curiosity, the boy leans in closer, black hair bouncing excitedly with every shake of his head.

Quick to avert his gaze, Mark flushes at the proximity before looking down at the flimsy, handmade necklace on the front of his shirt.

"T-Thanks," he mumbles, brushing a thumb over the uneven edges of the clay. When the silence runs on for a little too long, he clears his throat. "I… uh… made it myself."

"Cool!" The boy steps back and puts his hand out. "My name is Lee Donghyuck."

He smiles shyly. "You can call me Mark."