Illusions

September 30th 2009, the day after the Sexy Suds CPS nightmare, I mean carwash, and four days before we would open the tomb. The night before was spent sitting in on Bonnies first Intro to the Supernatural lesson and ignoring Stefans attempts at blowing up my phone.

~~~~~

Your S.O.S emergency meeting was for me to third wheel on your already awkward lunch date with your suspicious girlfriend? I asked sliding in next to Stefan at the Grill.

Nikol? Elena recoiled in shock. Why are you here?

She knows. Stefan answered me.

I told you shed figure it out. I sang, still not acknowledging the she in question. Wait, how much does she know?

About Damon and I. What we are.

And you decided to drag me into it?

Wait, you knew? Elena half-shouted in the background.

Youre her friend Stefan hesitated, probably not sure if the title fit. She trusts you, so I figured.

That youd throw me under the bus to take some of the pressure off of yourself? I raised a brow.

I..

Can someone just tell me what the hell is going on and how Nikol is involved? The Gilbert doppelganger ran out of patience. Stefan, you said you would explain everything. Thats why I asked you to meet me here, so why would you invite her? She huffed.

Because Elena, the Salvatores arent the only vampires in town and your boyfriend here apparently thought that bringing in one that youve known slightly longer might help ease you into the topic.

Youre a vampire?

Yep.

Does Grams know?

Yep. In fact, one could say, shes to blame.

I can tell you whatever you wanna know. Stefan butted in, trying to reassure her.

Okay. She pulled herself together. When you google vampire you get a world of fiction. Whats the reality?

Well, as hard as Stefan tries, not Twilight.

Nikol. The Ripper admonished. Can you at least take this seriously?

I am. We dont sparkle in the sun, were not made of marble. I started counting off on my fingers. We cant read peoples minds from across the room or see the future. We dont have venomous bites, or blood singers, or mates. Theres no single ruling government or universal laws. There havent been any miracle hybrid babies. Yet, but that's a moral dilemma for another day. We grow stronger, not weaker, with age. Saying that the reality isnt Twilight is a really good way of subtracting variables.

Ri-ght. Elena says after a beat. Well, I know you eat garlic.

Yes. Stefan agreed.

And somehow, sunlights not an issue.

A waitress came and went.

We have rings that protect us. He presented his and elbowed me to show mine.

Crucifixes. Elena started rattling off.

A joke. Decorative.

Holy water?

Flat.

Drinkable. Stefan gave me the side eye.

Mirrors?

What, you thought his hair just did that? I laughed thinking about the episode of Angel where they go to Lornes home world.

Myth. Stefan said stiffly, now flat out glaring at me.

You did this to yourself Mister, I did not have to be here.

Elena looked directly at Stefan. You said you dont kill to survive.

Animal blood keeps me alive, but not as strong as Damon. He can be very powerful. He elaborated.

Nikol? Elena whimpered a little.

I dont kill for my meals, but I dont abstain from human blood either. I have contacts at different hospitals, the bigger ones in cities and such, they send me the stuff that isnt suitable for medical use. Sometimes I need an emergency snack, but we have a little mind trick that lets me send them on their merry way without any memory of being attacked. I usually let them think a back-of-the-bar make out sesh got a little kinky. I waved off her worries, not really caring for her opinion but also not wanting to deal with her moral rant.

But Damon kills people, and you let him get involved with Caroline?

With plenty of rules and stipulations.

Forcing Damon not to do something is much more dangerous, believe me. Stefan tried to explain.

He was hurting her!

He was feeding on her. Like Nikol was saying, he was able to take away her memories of being bitten using a form of mind compulsion. She never knew what was happening to her. If he wanted to kill her he would have.

No, he wouldnt have. I cut in.

What do you mean? The doppelgangers asked together.

Damon and I have an understanding, a deal. He knows that Bonnie and Caroline are under my protection. He was allowed to feed from her wrist and use her as a spy and gossip mill, because it gave him the illusion of control, rather than a reason to lash out and kill a bunch of teenagers.

Is that supposed to make it okay? Elena screeched.

No. No, none of this is okay Elena. I know that.

Stefan, shut up. I looked the human in the eye. Listen to me, Elena. Stefan may try to deny it, but vampires are predators. We need blood to survive, just like you need meat and vegetables. Not all vampires can handle the extreme all animal diet, in fact, even those that claim or think they can fall off that wagon sometimes. Its the balance of nature. We arent humans, which means your moral ideals arent always going to fit or apply to us. I allowed her a short moment to process my words, before setting an ultimatum. You have two choices here. You can either let Stefan explain further and take some time to come to terms with this, or, I can compel you to forget about us, what we are, and leave you believing that the two of you broke things off because of your trust issues. Because you couldnt back off and wait for him to confess his secrets, when he was ready. Give him today, let him explain what he can, if it isnt too personal. After that, you have to decide whether you can accept the truth and keep our secret or, if youre going to forget and move on. I wont have you be a threat to me and my like just because Stefan has a soft spot for your face.

Shell keep her mouth shut, not just because she did before but because shes just like Damon. Damon can easily be kept in line with the illusion of control, Elena just needs the illusion of choice. Even if shes not above taking those came choices away from others when they dont behave like perfect dolls.

Elena Stefan begged. Give me today. I will answer any questions that you have, and when its over, you can decide for yourself what you wanna do with what you know. He wasnt happy with my obvious threat. Itll be your choice.

Ill leave you now. Youre really only interested in Stefans story and mine is for my ears only. I said getting up.

Wait. Why arent I part of your deal with Damon? Why arent I under your protection?" The teen demanded.

Because youre Stefans to protect. I snorted. The Salvatore brothers have some issues that I refuse to get in the middle of, that you already are. I turned to the eldest of our trio. Even if you dont want to overwhelm her today, you should explain it to her soon, Stefan. There are things about that day that will be coming to light soon, and if shes to keep her memories, thats definitely something she should hear from you and not others.