Time will Tell

The building crumbles, sending debris everywhere, and showing its true colours. One of the kids trapped in this hellhole of a tower approaches the other, "Are you okay?" They ask. Before the other has a chance to respond, flesh emerges from the walls with a loud grotesque, squishing noise and pursues them.
Upon realising this, they both try to rush through the destruction and to a platform with a door-like portal waiting for them, emitting a blinding light.

The one lagging behind, Mono, pants as he tries to catch up to his raincoat wearing friend while his long coat trails behind him. Said friend is way ahead of him and idle next to the portal, waiting for him cautiously and nervously. The platform in front of Mono suddenly plummets into the void, forcing the boy to jump as he holds out his hand.
"Hey!" He calls out, alerting his friend. The raincoat wearer catches his hand, but makes no move to pull the coated boy up for a moment.
Mono's head immediately fills up with paranoid thoughts and everything that could go wrong when he's suddenly lifted up. When he is though, it's strained and hesitant. Mono takes a moment to get up and then the two rush through the portal, collapsing on the other side and glad to finally be away from the chaos.

The raincoat hood falls down, revealing a mop of dark brown hair which hides the kid's eyes. They latch onto Mono and hug him desperately.
"I'm so sorry, I should've pulled you up sooner, I could've killed you," They ramble on, guilty.
Mono smiles in hope of solace and returns the passionate hug.
"It's okay. Besides, you got us out in the end, didn't you?" He tries to comfort, to no avail.
"I had a great urge to just drop you right there and then- I don't know why but it was horrible, I've never wanted to cause you any harm," The friend sobs, unable to say anymore.

Mono removes his hand from the hug to move their hair out of the way, seeing emerald eyes full of tears and sorrow staring back at him. Mono whispers, "Even if you did, which is very unlikely, I'd always forgive you no matter what." He ruffles the mop of hair. "Because you're my best friend." He adds, which is successful in cheering his friend up. They give a slight smile, questioning what to do next, which Mono only replies with, "Time will tell, RK."