Cast and Characters

Shawn Mendes as Troy Bolton, the most popular male student at East High and the captain of the varsity basketball team.

Camila Cabello as Gabriella Montez, a transfer student who joins the scholastic decathlon team and is attracted to Shawn.

Taylor Swift as Sharpay Evans, an energetic and proud student with a love of theatre and being the center of attention–particularly Shawn's who employs her twin brother, Ed, in her schemes.

Ed Sheeran as Ryan Evans, a member of the drama club who aids his twin sister, Taylor, in sabotaging Camila's relationship with Shawn.

Billie Eilish as Taylor McKessie, captain of the school's scholastic decathlon team who shows Camila the ropes of East High.

Michael Clifford as Dave Matsui, principal at East High.

Niall Horan as Chad Danforth, Shawn's best friend and member of the basketball team.

Manuel Mendes as Jack Bolton, Shawn's father and coach of the basketball team who believes that Camila is a distraction from Shawn's basketball career.

Halsey Williams as Kelsi Neilson, an underappreciated pianist and composer who is initially shy and subservient to Taylor.

Luke Hemmings as Zeke Baylor, a member of the basketball team who enjoys baking and admires Taylor.

Liam Payne as Jason Cross, a member of the basketball team who tends to ask mundane questions in class.

Sabrina Carpenter as Martha Cox, a peppy brainiac who enjoys hip-hop.

Sofia Carson as Ms. Darbus, a stern drama teacher who dislikes Mr. Mendes, sports, and cell phones.

Dove Cameron as Ms. Tenny, a chemistry teacher at East High.

Sinu Cabello as Lisa Montez, Camila's mother, who job makes them subject to frequent relocation.

Karen Mendes as Lucille Bolton, Shawn's mother.

Vanessa Morgan as Ms. Falstaff, the librarian at East High.

KJ Apa as Coach Kellogg, another coach at East High.

Demi Lovato as Susan, a girl who unsuccessfully auditions for the winter musical.

Dylan Sprouse as Alan, a boy who unsuccessfully auditions for the winter musical.

Ariana Grande as Cyndra, a girl who unsuccessfully auditions for the winter musical.