𝟬𝟬. Fantastic Beasts

SILVER LINING !prologue ─── fantastic beasts"i thought i saw

SILVER LINING !
prologue ─── fantastic beasts
"i thought i saw...something"

I'm gonna die, oh my god, I'm gonna die.

The thought pulsated through her brain as she sprinted up a flight of stairs. She quickly ducked into the nearest room and crouched down against the wall, clamping one hand over her mouth while pressing the other against the bleeding wound on her forearm.

Her eyes were bloodshot, filled to the brim with tears. A thick layer of sweat blanketed her skin — courtesy of whatever it was that she saw downstairs.

If she had left school just a little bit earlier, Sam wouldn't even have been in this situation. She had been stuck in detention for missing homework assignments, so she wasn't able to leave until 15 later than usual. If she had left school just a little bit earlier, she wouldn't have missed the bus, which means she wouldn't have had to walk home, inevitability causing her to walk past the old Whittemore house.

She never would've seen the "for sale" sign that was shredded to pieces in their driveway. She never would've seen the door bent and off its hinges. She never would have heard the sound of breaking glass from inside.

Granted, it wasn't exactly a genius plan to just walk in there. But impulsivity had a tight grip on the reins and it led her right into the dark house. Only, instead of being met with a member of the Whittemore family, she had been attacked by a tall, slithering beast. She managed to get away by the skin of her teeth as the creature's tail got caught against the furniture.

What a sick and twisted way for the universe to tell her to do her homework next time.

Her eyes darted around the room, landing on a small vanity a few feet away from her. A glossy, white handkerchief with the initials D.W. embroidered into the corner of the cloth caught her eye. She quickly snatched it off the desk, letting the various silver cufflinks fall into her trembling lap before pressing the material over her arm.

There were a couple moments of dreadful silence before she heard the floorboards outside the room creak eerily, echoing against the walls. She whimpered into her hand as tears spilled over her fingers. The room got hotter and hotter with every creak until it was silent again.

Suddenly, the silence had been sliced through as the creature ripped the door and hauled it to the other side of the house.

The scream was caught in her throat when she met eye to eye with the creature. Glowing orange pupils pierced into her own eyes, its red and black slimy skin had cracks filled with what looked like lava, its tail was on fire. The heat instantly radiated off of its body and mercilessly wrapped itself around her throat. Her skin felt like it was burning, the scratch on her forearm being even more unbearable with each second.