Chapter 6

Leaving Zoa didn't get any easier the second time around. If anything, it become more difficult now that Zoa understood what was happening.

"I go with Jihannie," Zoa whined to Monday as the older girl held her back from the door. Jihan stood in the doorway, biting her lip and hesitating to leave.

"You're coming shopping with us today, Hyewon,” Soeun piped up. "Jihan will be back soon." Monday waved her hand at Jihan, motioning for her to leave. Jihan sighed and slipped out the door while Zoa was distracted.

"Jihannieee!," Zoa cried, trying to wiggle out of Monday's grasp. Monday held on tightly to the tall girl. She glanced at Soeun questioningly.

"It's like we're raising a child," Soeun mumbled. Zoa was still trying to run for the door, and Monday was struggling to hold onto her.

"Jihan's gone, Hyewon," Monday said firmly. She was growing increasingly frustrated with the fact that Zoa was so persistent on being by Jihan's side 24/7. The tall girl turned around and looked at Monday angrily.

Monday's hands were still tightly gripping Zoa's wrists, so the taller girl settled on kicking her legs forwards and hitting the leg of the tall table by the door. The wood cracked easily under the force of her kick, causing the table to fall over and bring the glass vase on top of it crashing to the floor. Soeun and Monday both gasped as glass scattered everywhere. Zoa immediately cried out and covered her ears with her hands, which Monday had released out of shock.

"Why the hell would you do that?!" Monday yelled, turning around and glaring at Zoa. The taller girl took a few steps back and brought her hands up in front of her face.

"Please," she shook her head violently. Monday and Soeun exchanged confused glances as Zoa continued to take slow steps away from them.

"Bad," Zoa mumbled, knocking on her head with her fist. "Bad, Stupid," she shook her head and hit her head even harder. Monday raised an eyebrow at Soeun, who was just as lost as she was.

"Stupid," Zoa uttered under her breath. "Stupid, stupid, stupid," her voice grew louder and she began violently pummeling her head with both fists. Her back slid down against the wall and she continued punching herself with her balled up fists.

"Hyewon, don't do that," Monday quickly ran over to the girl and slid down next to her. "Hey, hey, you're not stupid," she grabbed Zoa's hands and held them away from her face.

Zoa looked up at Monday, her bottom lip trembling. The older girl felt extremely guilty for snapping at her. She glanced back at Soeun, who was already using the broom to sweep up the pictures of broken glass.

"Stupid," Zoa shook her head and tried to bring her hands back to her face. Monday kept a firm grip on her wrists, and Zoa whined in frustration. "Stupid, Bad, Bad Hyewon."

Monday bit her lip and sat down next to the girl. "You're not bad or stupid," Monday said softly, unsure how she should go about comforting Zoa.

"I killed it," Zoa whimpered, pointing to the vase and table by the door. She began to cry softly, tears flowing down her cheeks and spotting her shirt.

"It's okay, Hyewon, it's just a vase. We can just buy a new one,” Monday shook her head. "It's okay, I promise. Do you want something to eat?" She tried to distract the taller girl, hoping food would take her mind off of what she'd done.

Zoa shook her head violently, sobbing even harder than before. She dropped her head onto her knees and covered her face with her hands as the sobs became uncontrollable.

"Hyewon, you don't have to cry," Soeun piped up, joining Monday on the floor next to the girl. "It's all cleaned up, see?" She pointed to the doorway. Zoa didn't respond to their attempts at comforting her, she just continued crying into her hands.