Chapter 5

The diner was casually busy at two in the afternoon. Waitresses wore stereotypical yellow dresses with plain white aprons, hair in pony tails and serving soft drinks in clear plastic glasses with too much ice.

Dean sat with Castiel in a booth warmed by the flood of sunlight, the former having nearly finished his double bacon cheese burger with grilled onions while Castiel sat with an untouched glass of water next to him. He didn't liek eating much, and still was not used to the habit of his body needing sustenance roughly 2-3 times per day. The day had been hot even though summer had begun to wane, cheap plastic blinds raised in the diner to let in sorching sunlight. An overwwight trucker wearing suspenders sat at the bat eating his meal while a single mother and two rowdy children sat near the entrance, the youngest girl trying to spriknle pepper in her older sisters' clear soda.

"I just don't understand why you are so opposed to attending."

Dean let out a heavy sigh, greasy fingers crumpling an already crumpled napkin. "Those aren't my type of things."

"That's not a vaild reason, Dean." Cas said and looked at the man.

"Damnit Cas!" Dean slammed his hand donw on the cheap metal table, perhaps harder than he meant to, his temper getting the best of him again. This argument had been going on for nearly fifteen minutes now, back and forth over the same points. He calmed himself down, the abrupt noise he'd just made bringing him back to reality. It was the reality hat across from him sat the only creature, human or otherwise, who had ever understood him. Who had ever known the pain and experiences he had been through, and who under no circumstances would leave him or forget him, or not come to his rescue.

They were discussing the pride festival downtown, where Castielhad inadvertenly wandered in. Still confused about human nature and human activity, he had followed a throng of people inside some rainbow colored gates. Everybody had seemed happy in the crowd, and he had passed through without a ticket. The jubilant crowd then dispersed inside a large park that was surrounded with a temporary wire fence, the kind he had once kicked DEan into. He winced at the thought and wandered towards the noisiest part of the park. But just as he came upon the central stage, the preformance ended. Ever the patient one, Castiel took a seat in the front row as people began to get up and wander off, either to vendors, performances on other stages, or the beer garden. He sat down quietly on a plastic folding chair that had once been white but was not visibly scuffed from dry dirt and mud.

He had sat quietly for nearly twenty minutes, hands in his lap, people watchign and waiting for another performance to begin. Everybody was happy it seemed, laughing and eating shaved ice or talking loudly and walking with children. He saw things perhaps too promiscuous for him to approve of, and yet the pure, positive energy him in the crowd of strangers. Men were holding hands with men, women with women, and some he could not identify which gender they were but he didn't question because all the people he saw had smiles on their faces. And that's what truly mattered in humans, as far as he was concerned.

"Are you alone?" came a slightly effeminate voice. A young boy, perhaps 22 or 23 sat down next to him, wearing jean shorts and a white and blue striped tank top. He wore expensive sunglasses and had a rainbow-colored bracelet on his wrist.

He looked at the boy and thought for a moment, "Yes, I suppose I am." He said it in his usual slightly confused yet complacent tone.

"You couldn't get anybody to come with you?"

"Hmm, no..." he let word linger in the air. Who was he supposed to take? Dean and Sam had been budy, and he didn't know nay other humans that would want to wander around they city with him.

"Well if you want, you can join my boyfriend and I and our friends; we're over at the beer garden." He spoke quickly, trying to make it less awkward for this guy who was obviously awkward by nature. "I saw you here and thought how said it was that one of us alone on a day like this."