1

((𝕎𝕒𝕣𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘: Smut alert. For those of you who don't like/read smut, the end of the chapter stuff gets steamy. However, it's more on the fun side of the scale rather than intense smut lol.))

.・。.・゜♥・.・♡・゜・。.

I check the clock for the umpteenth time today.

"You do realize the number of times you check that watch is irrelevant to the speed of time passage, right Estella?" Archer says, not even looking away from his screen, sitting on the other side of the gigantic white desk placed in the middle of our shared office room.

I roll my eyes. "Shut up, Archie," I grumble before planting my elbows on the desk and intertwining my fingers together. "When you finally find a girlfriend for yourself and be serious about her, you'll understand the importance of two-year anniversary."

His stormy grey eyes, extenuated by his charcoal-colored sweater meet mine at last. His brows pucker and defiantly he pushes his thick glasses up his nose. "Some people are not as obsessed as you with love and all of that." He lifts his shoulders in an indifferent shrug before grinning, showing off his cute dimples. "Not that I'm complaining." Archer leans into his seat, his grin turning impish. "The more distracted you stay with your douchebag boyfriend, the higher my chances of winning the competition."

I gasp dramatically. "In your dreams! I'm not distracted by anyone, and I'm winning this year's TRPC."

Top robot programming competition, the most prestigious competition between programs, especially the ones who specialize in writing, or enhancing, programming codes for robots.

Archer and I weren't eligible to take part last year, but now, after two years of graduating, and working in one of the best companies, not only can we enter, but we have a higher chance of winning, thanks to our upscale company, and seniors who were more than willing to teach us the matters we don't learn in college but need them in real-life work.

"We'll see." He places his forearms on the desk, a lopsided smile dangling on his lips.

I grab the nearest piece of junk paper and curl it into a ball before hurling it at him. Archer tries to dodge it but fails and the ball hits his arm. He throws his head back guffawing.

"This time, I will win." I wave my index finger at him. "And prove I'm smarter than you."

"So you've been saying since kindergarten-"

"Because you get lucky... a lot," I grumble, interrupting him.

He laughs again. "Call it luck, or brainpower, but I'm winning this one too, Essie."

I flip him off and he gladly returns the favor. It's a wonder how we've been friends our whole life. Actually, being friends with me is easy, the speculating part is, how I've managed to stay this idiot's friend.

I glance at the digital clock worked into the white wall, showing it's already five pm in big blue digits. "Well, I'm off for the day, I don't want to keep Noah waiting," I announce as I get to my feet.

Archer's smile falters as he nods, and focuses back on his monitor. Ever since I told him about Noah, two years ago when he took me on our first date, Archer disliked him. After a while, instead of pointing out the reasons why he's not good, Archer decided to take the silent path.

He takes off his glasses as I quickly gather my belongings.

Squirting two drops of his eyedrop in each eye to enhance his eyesight for the following three hours, he blinks rapidly to get it working faster and puts on his AVR glasses.