00 ; 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

the one where it all started
september first, 2009

"We are still on for tonight, right?" a fifteen-year-old Alison Dilaurentis asked her friend Elizabeth

"We are still on for tonight, right?" a fifteen-year-old Alison Dilaurentis asked her friend Elizabeth. The two of them were standing outside the barn, the Dilaurentis girl waiting for the shorter one to finish whatever it was she was smoking, as she leaned in the barn's wall. It was an habit she had developed over the summer.

"Sure babe" Lizzie answered, feeling the substance she was inhaling go through her organism, adding weight to her already numb-state "You still not telling me where you're going?"

"Are you telling me where you are going?" the blonde asked back with a smirk and a raised eyebrow.

"Fair enough" the Arden girl replied with a soft laugh, letting the smoke out.

"We have to be here before the girls wake up" Alison reminded, they had to be careful; if the girls found out that they were sneaking out in the middle of the night they would ask questions, questions that neither Alison or Elizabeth wanted to answer "Do you know already how you are coming back?"

"I'll just ask my date to give me a ride" she shrugged, giving the cigarette another puff.

"What if he doesn't?" Alison inquired, walking closer towards her, and with an irritated mood.

"He will" the blond haired girl assured, unbothered by her friend's attitude.

"If he doesn't —"

"He will" she cut her off, repeating herself "God, why are you so worried? It's not like it's the first time we sneak out" Elizabeth wondered, eyeing her friend from head to toe; Alison and her were used to sneak out almost every night, without problems or worries. She didn't understand what had her friend so on edge that night. And she was way too high to try to find out.

"If he doesn't bring you back, don't expect me to go and pick you up" the youngest Dilaurentis said with a threatening attitude, pointing at her friend.

"Wasn't" she replied with a wry smile "You could use a bit of this, you know, to ease up your mood" she handed the cigarette to the blonde, who gave it a disgusted look, taking it off Lizzie's hand and throwing it to the ground,  putting it out "Hey! I wasn't done!" she protested with an annoyed face.

"You are now" Ali answered with the same wry smile her friend did before "You should thank me sweetie, that shit is going to kill you"

"Sweetie, with all I've taken that shit has already killed me"

Alison rolled her eyes at her friend's attitude "We should go inside, the girls are probably wondering where we are"

"You go first, I gotta make a call" Elizabeth took her phone out of her pocket and walked away from the barn, so they didn't hear her conversation. She heard the girls scream at the prank Alison just pulled on them and laughed, pressing the contact name of the person she was about to call.

___________________

"Libby" someone whispered, shaking her body trying to wake her up "Damn it Libby, wake the hell up" Slowly, she opened her eyes, taking her time to adjust to the absence of light and trying to put a face on the person who was talking to her; Alison Dilaurentis "The girls are already asleep, we have to go"

Elizabeth looked around her, seeing Aria Montgomery fast asleep next to her, just like Spencer Hastings, Hanna Marin and Emily Fields. She didn't even remember falling asleep. She took her phone and saw that she had an unread message.

"Already outside, waiting for you" she read. She blocked her phone again, took a cup full of whatever liquor Hanna had stolen from her mother, and got up with the help of Alison. Without making any noise, the two girls left the barn with four sleeping girls inside, unaware of what was happening.

"My ride is already here" Arden said, taking a sip from the cup she had taken.

"Mine's arriving" the other blonde assured, although she didn't sound very convincing "We'll meet back here?"

Elizabeth nodded, and said goodbye to her friend, walking towards the car that was waiting for her.

Little did she know, that only one of them would make it back that night.