4. HER INCOMPLETE FUNERAL- PART 1

Monami missed several calls from Kamini aunty. She also missed her calls on D-day. That moment was probably one of the reasons Karan felt a strong pity for her. That night he saw her lighting a candle and joining her hands before it. But she did not close her eyes. Because she wasn't praying. She was crying. Karan could see her tears but he stood there. 

How does one live when they lose someone? He knows that feeling. He is well aware of it. He lives with it everyday. But so does she. She also lost someone. She has lost many of them. Ones who were her family. 

PRESENT DAY 
Sid and Monu are in the mess along with the other cadets. As Karan and Faizi are coming in, Banta ji calls Monami out saying she has a visitor. They pass each other and share a brief eye contact. Karan wanted to stop her but she hurried away lowering her eyes.   

They both settle down when Faizi asks Karan What's wrong. 
karan- wo mujhe ignore kyu kar rahi hai yaar 
faizi- hume nahi lagta usne tumhe ignore kiya hai
karan - kya bol raha hai, abhi tune dekha na?
faizi- ignore karne me aur nazre churane me fark hota hai. 

Faizi's last statement made karan think. what was going on?? 
He saw Sid was still in mess so he went to him. 
Sid was playing with the food in his plate when karan came and sat in front of him. 

karan - so how's it going??
sid- excuse me??
Karan - i mean, training kaisi chal rahi hai ? ( while scratching the back of his head)
Sid- uhhh, you are my trainer to aapko pata hona chahiye. Right!!! ( still looking down) 
Karan- Aneesh tum logo ka bestfriend hai right?? 
Sid- best friend nahi hai( while thinking about Riya) par kuch aur zaroor ho sakta hai. 
now he was looking at karan. 
karan- Matlab?? 
Karan was confused. this was unlike Sid. he would always give clear answers. Just when sid was About to tell Karan about Aneesh, Monami came back. 
Monami- Sid, bahar chal, kamini Aunty aayi hai. She wants to meet you. 
Monami was still avoiding eye contact. after all the doubts and suspicions on Aneesh, She was feeling Guilty about not believing in Karan's accusation . She was the one to speak of trust in their relationship and she was the one who didn't believe him. 
Sid- Aunty yaha kyu aayi hai??
Monami- chal na, bahar baat karte hai. 

Both of them leave the mess and karan is thinking about what could sid possibly mean from his statement. 

Coming outside, they see Aneesh talking with kamini aunty. Both of them run to her. Monami is shocked when Kamini Aunty tells her that She Knows Aneesh and he has been in constant contact with her after riya's death. 

ANOTHER CONINCIDENCE??? 
" no, no, it can't possibly be". Monami thought to herself. " Aisa kaise ho sakta hai??' 
" kyu baar baar, saare doubts Aneesh ki taraf point kar rahe hai??' 

" KYUU" Monami was shocked. She was angry. The culprit who was roaming free from the last 10 years may be in front of her. But how?? 
" WO kyu karega aisa?? " ," Kuch hai jo mujhse chuth raha hai...." 

Monami took out her diary and started writing. All hints. 
1. Aneesh talking about Riya. 
2. Aneesh knows about Riya's Father's death
3. He knows kamini aunty.
4. He tapped my phone 
5. He knew about me being in Parakram SAF
6. He spiked my drink. 
And lastly, he attended the funeral. 
Monami was so angry she fisted her hand on the table so hard, she started bleeding. How could she not know?? 

She was just sitting there on the chair. few blood drops had come on the paper. She was crying. LOUDLY. more like she was mourning. When Riya died, Monami did not attend the funeral because she wasn't ready to face it. 
Somebody forced her to die. She lost another family member. She tried but she could never find out how and what happened. Her cries became louder. Her anger became stronger. She got up from the chair and started punching the wall. She felt guilty for living her life happily. Now when all the lost memories, pain, anger and questions were coming up from the past, She felt disgusted of herself. All she could say was.....
" I AM SORRY RIYA, MAINE TUJHE AISE JAANE DIYA" 
" I AM SO SORRY" in whimpering voice.
She came back and sat on the chair. She was exhausted. She took out the photo from behind the diary and kept on looking at it. She dozed off in a while. One hand on the table with her head on it. Another hand holding the photograph, still bleeding. 

Karan thought now was the right time to talk to Monami. But to avoid any disturbance he first checked Aneesh's room and he was sleeping. Karan was relieved. He then checked Sid's room and he was also sleeping with his panda. 
" Ab to koi aunty nahi aayegi, right!!"
" yahi sahi waqt hai monu se baat karne ka". 

He walked to Monami's room with determination, confidence and love. Yes, he loved her. Maybe, before he realised it, he was already in love. He stood at the door wanting to knock but it was slightly open, so he just peeked in and saw Monami sleeping on the table under the lamp. 
From far, he could only see her face but as he went near, he saw the swollen eyes and the bleeding hand. He immediately went on his knees, took out his handkerchief and wrapped it around her hand. She had injured her knuckled very badly. His eyes had tears. 
" ye kya kiya hai isne apne saath??" in broken voice. 
He wanted to wake her up but then he won't be able to dress her wound so he quickly went to get the first aid box. He was so disturbed seeing the injury, he did not pay attention on the diary and the photograph on the table.  

He tiptoed in the dispensary and took the first aid kit. He came back and carefully picked up Monami from the chair and laid her on the bed. He unwrapped the handkerchief, which was now red and bandaged her hand. He started patting her head slightly when he saw she was shivering but was sweating. Suddenly Monami started muttering....
' nahi, nahi riya uth" in a shaky voice and then in a few seconds she woke up with a jolt. Sweating and heavily breathing. Karan was worried. She saw him and just hugged him real tight and closed her eyes while hiding her face in his nape. He reciprocated and hugged her. While lightly patting her back and constantly assuring her that she is safe and he is with her. 
" Monu. its ok" 
" mai hoo tumhare saath" 

" relax, shhhhh" in a low voice.       

TO BE CONTINUED......