Chapter 1

I hugged Sarah, "Bye! See ya!" I yelled after her. It was already getting dark, I was on my way to my house. Sarah and I went to the beach today, so I had to walk through the cut to get home. Even tho I'm considered a kook, I don't always feel like one. My parents had to work hard for our home. And I'm grateful for them.
Suddenly I heard grunts and yells, for a moment I wanted to continue walking home. But I just couldn't help myself. I walked towards the place where the noises were coming from. It came from a trailer. I listened closely.

"You are a worthless piece of shit!"

"Shut up!"

"Your mama knew!"

"Shut up!"

Okay maybe I should go.

The door flew open, a blonde boy was pushed outside, not later followed by, I assume, his dad. To my shock the older man hit the boy, he pushed him up against the wall and started choking him. I need to do something. Before that thought had left my head the blonde boy hit his dad back. And again, and again. He pushed his dad on the ground and kept hitting him.

"You gave me nothing! Nothing but a shitty life! All you ever did was try to scare me!"

The blonde boy yelled crying. Then my eyes fell on his hand reaching out for the wrench. Fuck he's gonna kill his dad.

"Well guess what dad, I ain't scared off you anymore."

The blonde boy let go of the wrench and stood up. His face turned in my direction, with horror I realized it was JJ. A pogue I met a few years back. I've hung out with him and his friends a couple of times . I gasped at the realization. JJ's head snapped to my hiding spot.

"Who is there?!" He yelled.

"Eyy you better come out before I-" before he could finish his sentence I stepped a side from the tree.

"Aleah." He sounded defeated. Broken. Lost.

I didn't know what to say. So I just walked up to him, and hugged him tight. I held him while he softly sobbed in my arms. Poor JJ, I've seen him bruised a lot, he's basically always bruised. I just thought he'd fought with Rafe or Topper. But I now realize that his dad has been abusing him. I felt so bad. Then he let go and held his head down.

"JJ, I'm so so-"

"It's fine Ali." He acted all though again even tho he just cried in my arms.

"You can come with me if you have nowhere else to go? My parents won't mind."

"Nah it's fine."

Without further or do he walked off. God knows to where or who.

I couldn't sleep that night. I kept thinking about JJ. Where would he have gone? Watching him get beaten up by his own dad was so cruel and sickening. I was so deep gone in my own thought I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep. When I woke up it was already noon. Then my phone rang. It was Sarah

"Hey Sarah."

"Hey Ali, would you like to go to this party?

"Oh yeah sure! Where and what time?"

"Wait I'll just meet you at your place around 8 pm."