chp 1 (kubokai)

(fuck i just remembered that aren's mom isn't mentioned at all in the show)..

in the later days of february, a gentle but crisp end-of-winter wind blew through the shorter boy's light blue hair. a few clouds concealed the warm pink and orange hue of the dusk sky, underneath which a certain taller eggplant purple haired boy tended to his broken skateboard wheel, which had fallen off during an attempt to perform a stunt.

kaidou sat and watched his companion screw the base plate onto the bottom of the board from his place on a blanket they had set out in the grass, and aren's mother was kind enough to light the firepit for them, seeing as it was still winter and she didn't want them to freeze their asses off. 

aren's glasses were laid next to kaidou, who had taken them off after wearing them for too long. there was an open book in his lap that was decorated and painted on, and the paints he had used were in a box to the side of the blanket. 

as kaidou wondered what he should paint next, aren took his flannel from around his waist and threw it onto the blanket before testing out the skateboard again. there was a small platform with a ramp in the driveway that they had set out earlier that afternoon.

he took the board to the top of the pavement and got on it, kicking twice to gain more speed. the other boy watched as he kick-flipped up the ramp and onto the elevated platform, when the wheel he had been working on for the past hour spun and rolled off of the wood, sending aren forward and onto his side.

"FUCK!" 

setting his sketchbook down, kaidou rushed to him.

"Aren! Are you okay?" his small, red bandaged hands gripped the broad, toned shoulders of the bigger boy. 

"I'm fine, don't worry." he sat up and brushed off the knees of his black jeans, and kaidou made a high-pitched noise.

"What? What's wrong?" 

"Your elbow!" 

aren looked. there was a flap of skin dangling from his arm. he hadn't felt it until his friend had said something.

he shrugged, getting up on his own. as a former delinquent, he engaged in more than a few fist-fights, shootings, bike accidents, you name it. this was nothing but a scratch to a tough-skinned guy like him.

"Oh, it's nothing. I've had worse than this!" he nonchalantly scratched the back of his head, trying to reassure kaidou, who couldn't stop staring at it. 

"Uhm, I dunno, Kuboyasu. It looks really bad! Do you want me to get a band-aid or something?" 

aren chuckled. he admired that his friend cared about him and worried about him, but this poor thing really thinks a band-aid will cover his wound up. adorable. plus, he was sure the only packs they had left were off branded pokemon ones, which his mom had bought off of clearance.

"Don't worry about it, man." 

--timeskip--

kaidou gently pressed the wet cloth to the wound. aren was trying his hardest not to wince or hiss in pain, and that resulted in him staring the life out of the hardwood floor. it's been a while since he actually broke skin, he almost forgot what it felt like. 

"Does that hurt at all?" the blue haired boy inquired. 

he shook his head, feeling the sting of the cloth erupt from his arm. he watched as kaidou meekly rinsed and bandaged him with some medical gauze they had found in the cabinet, wondering where he learned how to do it so well.