chp 4 (kubokai)

the dark, star-speckled sky glimmered above the two boys, who were making their way to shun's house. 

the bland streets were lit up by houses that they passed by, casting rectangular shadows and faint shapes of furnishings inside of them onto the dark gray pavement. the occasional dimly lit green streetlamp provided seldom range of sight, and it was so cold that they had to huddle together. kaidou, standing at 5'2, had his soft blue locks pressed into the crest of aren's neck. their height made all the difference, but they made it work. 

if one listened closely enough, shun's teeth were chattering. aren wondered if he should just carry him home. 

"damn, it's freezing out here." he said flatly, a stinging sensation poking him in his skinned elbow. 

kaidou didn't answer. his house was a 10 minute walk from aren's, but right now it felt like they had been walking for eons. his bandaged hands were visibly shaking from the intense cold. temperatures were supposed to be dropping to below freezing tonight, and he was only wearing a shirt and a red hoodie. 

kuboyasu, on the other hand, came a little more prepared. he had on a beanie and was sharing his winter coat that his mother had made him put on with the smaller boy. the coat rubbed against his wrapped wound, which caused minor discomfort. 

when they finally arrived at the kaidou residence, aren called his mother to tell her that he would be spending the night due to the overnight freeze. she offered to drive over to pick him up, but he didn't want her to, for obvious reasons. 

mrs. kaidou allowed them to stay up that night, which was asking a lot from her. she treasured academics over everything and expected shun to get perfect marks on his schoolwork. because of this, her child overworked himself and pushed his mental capability to the limit, ultimately leaving him drained at some times. this worried kuboyasu. on days after cram school, shun would come in with dark circles underneath his eyes and a cramped hand. he always waved it off like it was nothing, but aren always saw him wincing whenever his fingers would cramp, trying to play it cool. 

"Your mom is so strict. I don't know what I'd do if my mother was like that." 

they were now sitting on the floor, dressed in matching green tea pajamas. (kuboyasu had to borrow a set, and it was the only one that they had that miraculously fit him). 

"Yeah, well, I can't really do anything about it. She's my mom. Hey, I haven't had a sleepover in a long time! What do you wanna do?" his eyes lit up, and it took everything aren had to not cover his face in "flusteration". (fluster + frustration). 

"Uh, we could watch a movie." it came out a little more commanding than it needed to be, but shun wasn't fazed at all.

"Oooh~ I know the perfect one we can watch!" 

he pulled up his school laptop and logged onto Netflix, where he chose a movie called "The Conjuring.". kuboyasu wasn't sure about it, mainly because his crush was sure to have nightmares after watching, so he steered away from it and chose something less scary.

"The Babysitter?" kaidou seemed offended. "What kind of lame movie is that? You think I'm too scared to watch a horror movie?"

aren sighed. "No, I just know that you probably haven't seen anything other than PG-13 and The Conjuring is rated R." 

shun blushed. he was right. his mom never allowed him to watch anything rated MA or R. she told him that it would rot his brain, and he had been dying to watch one of those rates ever since.

"W-well, I wanna try it! And I won't get nightmares, I'm not a little kid anymore. I fight off The Dark Reunion for heaven's sake! I fear nothing!"

--timeskip--

now they were watching Dispicable Me.