A day frozen in time

They often say in life that you need to hold on to what you have now, that things will not always stay the same. This along with other life lesson qoutes you hear throughout your life you really don't understand until that statement becomes true. I had a great life, a family who cared for me, I lived in a nice home, and I was surrounded by all the people one could ever ask for. It was that cold rainy day in May that is forever frozen in my head, the one I relive every time I close my eyes. Thats the day that change my life forever, one that you play over in you head just to see if you could have done anything different.
I can remember waking up that morning to the smell of food being cooked from the kitchen. As I walked down the old wooden steps everyone turned around to see who was causing the creeks within the wood. "Shaune about time you woke up. I was wondering if I was going to have to drag you out of bed to help me make all this food." That was always mine and dads thing, cooking was the thing that me and him both enjoyed. Once I got started I noticed mom had already hung congratulations class of 2015 over the huge rocked fireplace we had. That always seemed to be our house, no matter the occasion our house was the one that threw the awesome party's everyone came to. It was my older brother Garett's class that would be graduating this year, I would follow him next year and then my sister two years later. "Does this look tacky." Mom says this as she is standing over the stair banister looking back at the fire place" " I don't know Payton looks like something we would have bought at the dollar store for the kids third birthday party's." Before Dad and I could even laugh she snaped back, " Well Hardin if you have any better ideas you come fix it." It was not long she began to laugh as well.
It seemed that the day could not go any better, the day seemed that everything would go to plan. That we would drive to Elizabethtown High School and see Garrett walk across the stage. We would then come back home and throw the party with family and friends coming and going throughout the night. But we would all soon find out that we where wrong. We would all find out that God had another plan.