Chapter 1: One Almond Frappe, Tall

Almond mocha frappe was the speciality of Sweet Paradise, a quiet cafe that stood a few blocks away from the school. Neither too sweet nor too bitter, it had a faint aroma of almond expertly mixed in. The drink was one of Xiao's few favorite foods, and so, he visited the cafe often. Yes, it was because their almond mocha was delicious, definitely not because of a certain barista waiter that had the bluest eyes, prettiest lashes and the softest ashen hair he had ever seen.

Despite having frequented the cafe almost everyday, Xiao had never spoken to the barista. But he was determined to, today.

"Tell him a joke, make him remember you! I mean your face is already pretty memorable but..."

He remembered Aether's advice from this morning. But what is this... joke that he speaks of? Xiao understood that it was supposed to be a gesture to incite laughter from another, but what sort of devilry could do that? He mused, there weren't many (or any) things that could make him laugh after all.

"Hello, can I have your order sir?"

Such a soft, gentle voice, yet it pulled his heart into a quickening panic mode. Xiao looked up, greeting the large teal eyes with his mouth nervously agape. Quick! A joke! 

"Almond..."

"Almond mocha frappe, tall, as usual?"

"Yes," he sheepishly said, earning a confused purse of lips in return, the waiter wondering if he assumed too quick to cause his customer discomfort.

"Xiao right?" the waiter said, picking up a marker to the cup. Xiao blinked in surprise, appalled that the stranger knew his name. Did he visit too often? Also, quick Xiao, a joke! He could hear Aether's voice bellowing in his ear.

Nervous droplets were forming on his temples as he peered at the snaking line behind him. Well, Aether did say that Google was his best friend when it comes to things like this. It's super lame, he knows, but he's desperate. Whipping out his phone, Xiao quickly searched for a joke, any joke.

"Xiao... right ?" the waiter asked again, this time sounding a little less confident due to the customer's silence.

There it was! Google's wisdom.

"C-Could you maybe ask me an easier question?"

...Google's wisdom. Heat rose up to his cheeks as his eyes drifted away from the large teal. That was so lame! His mind roared. This moment is going to haunt you for life.

"Ah, I see you in school sometimes, and I hear your name around quite a bit," the waiter clarified, "you're quite popular."

Xiao peered up, wondering if the waiter ever got his... joke. But nothing could ever have prepared him enough for the sight that graced his eyes. There it was. The cutest, prettiest smile perked up on the waiter's face, forming little dents of dimples on his cheeks. So he did get it. Perhaps Xiao had stared too long, because the person behind him clicked his tongue in annoyance. Xiao quickly paid and darted to the collection point.

Crescent teal eyes, rosy cheeks, and pursed lips that were holding back a chuckle. He placed a hand over his face, feeling burning heat scalding over them. This moment is indeed going to haunt him for life.

Wait. He blinked, did he just say that they go to the same school? Xiao looked back at the barista, trying his hardest to recall if they had ever crossed paths outside of Sweet Paradise. But no one in particular came to mind. He sighed, folding his arms and deciding that tomorrow, he will look for the ash-blonde, in school.