Chapter 1

Juggling the mountain of binders and clipboards in her arms, she passes them to my father one by one as he babbles on about the poll.

"Its like they think the only thing on my mind is the damn pole." he said as we walked out of the turnout room.

"yep, sign this." she said passing him a clipboard.

"How many times do I have to say it?" he asked me "Don't cross country while we vent. Stick to a beam or stay off the roof. Its how people get hurt."

"Drink." she told him handing him a white-water bottle.

"We have got to remember to watch the perimeter more clo—" he cut himself off by taking a drink screwing up his face as he tasted what was inside. "This isnt water."

Its a protein kale smoothie. Youve been skipping means. She told him

"Keeping tabs on my food intake now?" he asked.

"Someone needs to. I also filed your incident reports, put the calendar out for approval, arranged maintenance checks on each – "she was cut off by him slamming his office door in her face. However, she knocks.

"Your lucky your my daughter." he said taking the water bottle that she was holding.

"So are you." she said walking away.

A few hours later they were all sat around the table in the dining room for dinner.

"All I'm saying is the whole point of a meatloaf is the meat." Dean complained looking at Travis who was standing in the kitchen cooking.

"I dont mind the veggie kind, especially when Travis makes it." Andy said disagreeing with Miller.

"Yeah, its pretty good." Jack agreed, looking at me with a slight sparkle in his eye. I hope that no one was paying attention to see it.

"Ah, thank you. Its my husbands recipe." Travis replied, walking over to the table.

Maya then made a comment to dean about bulking up to save more itty-bitty puppies. To which Dean asked is she was able to train for the Olympics by eating spaghetti made out of squash. They then went on to debate the benefits of consuming plant-based diets, Warren brining up the fact the he is a doctor as well. Which caused Vic to roll her eyes.

Warren then proceeded to ask the question about what Captain Pruitt Herrera meant by having guts. He told the story about the falling of the twin towers. Jacks eyes flicking towards Andy as he started to tell the story. Maya mouthed the words, Shes baby Rambo. As they came out of Captain Herreras mouth.

As Andy changes the subject, Jacks eyes are still on he, almost like he is making sure she is okay as her father retells the story. As the subject changes to Vic talking about Dean putting his dress blue in with her washing, Andy looks up and meets Jacks eyes for a quick second before getting up from the table. His eyes follow her as she dumps her plate by the sink and walks out.

She paces back a forth as she waits for him to come in. As she hears to door open she turns towards him.

"Ohh, I hate that story. I've always hated that story." She says walking towards him. "Yeah, he thinks it cute. It wasnt cute. It was messed up." She says.

"Forget about it." Jack says walking closer to her.

"I cant." She replies. She goes to say something however is cut off when Jack grabs her pushes her into the lockers kissing her.

"Distracted yet." He asks cutting off the kiss.

"Getting there." She replies kissing him again. "This is bold even for you."