PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

I STARTED SMOKING WEED at my father's funeral since I was prohibited to attend it—well, I really had no shit to complain about when it was the city congressman, or as everybody had been saying, my father's long-time friend before he decided to lie low, who sent me to the orphanage after the fire incident at my home.

Eventually that night I got busted after my failed attempt to escape. Because of that, the congressman relented and allowed me on the day of my father's inurnment. Wari'y inakalang ang pagbabawal niya ang dahilan, but not really. I was fine not seeing my father's burnt identity, believe me I still can remember the fetor of his charred flesh and how it glowed from bright red in the blisters of black.

What I wasn't fine with was the nuns overanalysing my case after they found out that the fire was just to cover the multiple messy stabs the autopsy revealed. Anila, pinatunayan lang nitong may sa likod ang ginawang pagbabawal ng congressman sa akin. They thought I killed my father—I didn't.

I just let the fire burn him.

It was maddening they couldn't understand how shattering it was for me, my father was the only one I got. I had nowhere to go. I didn't know who my mother was. I even thought she was dead, but it turned out she wasn't because a dead mother doesn't show herself to an old partner's inurnment day with a new husband.

She married a rich man who was running for a city mayor, Avo Foscablo. The moment they brought me home, I already felt like an outcast. The media dubbed me as a lucky charm, dahil ilang araw pagkatapos akong ampunin ng tunay kong ina ay nanalo si Avo sa eleksyon.

Noong araw rin na 'yon, the congressman resigned from his position and fled the country. Fucking unbelievable, that man is. I would never understand how he never once dared to talk me through things, or look me in the eye even when I was on my knees begging not to be thrown to my mother.

I couldn't understand why. It can't be because he was suspecting me too, like everyone did. That would be funny. If there's anyone who knows the truth aside from me, it would be him. Because the night when the fire happened, I wasn't alone in that house. He was there.

 He was there