The Arm

Daylight was somewhat a foreign concept anymore for Hanyu's weakened eye. But he still relished in the delightful warmth and certain, yet slight, sting the rays would leave on his exposed skin. It was momentary, but he loved the feeling.

The same white shirt sat atop the young man's shoulders, though the white had been tainted with a now dulled orange where his father's hand had gripped him tightly with bloody fingers. The memory shook him a bit, but he kept walking steadily next to Mrs. Hanson, a large bag of acquired gauze and bandages clutched firmly in his hands. He was still covered in the white material, a few yards of tape holding to the skin as if to keep it in place.

"How're you doing Hanyu?" Mrs. Hanson asked for the millionth time that morning after Hanyu's discharge. "M' fine." He tried, a small smile on his cracked lips. She nodded, running a hand over the 17 year-old's arm in show of her utmost support. It was still sore, but Hanyu was learning to deal with his pain. He'd keep a straight face at each twinge, just to convince himself he was getting better.

Each step was walked tight and ridged, a slight but noticeable limp plaguing his right leg. Hanyu was dying to be free from this body. He wanted the old one back. The one that could walk without a hobble. The one that didn't feel as though he was always on broken glass when he took a step. He missed the unblurred vision in his eye and wished he could do something to fix himself. But what could he do?

His arms were stiff and burned when his clothing brushed and moved his bandages.
He fought the tears brought on by the feeling of defeat. He just wanted to be normal again. He wanted his mother and father back and a life where he didn't have to worry about how painful each movement was.

"You're doing so well Hanyu, just a step up and we'll be all set." Mrs. Hanson encouraged as Hanyu stared blankly at the open car door. He really didn't want to get into another car. Not for awhile anyway.

Hanyu hesitated, breathing picking up speed.
"It's okay Hanyu, take your time." She said softly, hand still warm on his arm. He nodded shallowly, taking in a labored breath and staring the vehicle down a little longer, fear still putridly vivid in his mind.

Hanyu stood there. And stood there. And stood there. He'd try, yet he wouldn't move a muscle. He was scared yet he didn't say a word. Before he knew it he had been a statue for 15 minutes, eyes shaking in terror.

"Do you need help?" The older woman questioned, squeezing the boy's forearm a bit.

Hanyu didn't want to admit he was scared. He felt as though it wasn't a big deal. No deal at all. He didn't feel as traumatized as his body did.

Only by the very last ounce of pride did Hanyu finally open his pale lips, a painful few syllables leaving them. "Please." He turned to look at the smaller. "Help me."

"No problem baby." She said with a determined brow, taking the bags from his purple and blue hands and throwing them in the backseat.

"Alright, hang on." Mrs. Hanson said as she threw Hanyu's arm over her neck.
"Huh?" Hanyu yelped in question as the small woman effortlessly swept the brunette off of his feet.

"Don't you worry, I'll get you in there." She huffed.

Hanyu had never been more confused and embarrassed in his life as this middle aged woman carried him like a princess towards the car. He covered his face with a bruised hand just to sheet the sheer shock and disbelief on it.
'How'd she get this strong?' He questioned in his head, allowing her to set him in the backseat, strapping the seatbelt over his chest.

"Whenever you need my help you just say so." She tugged on the belt and checked on each measure for safety. "Okay." He said almost inaudibly, visibly shaken by Mrs.Hanson's brawny display.

The small blonde smoothed out her blazer and shut the door softly as not to scare Hanyu in anyway, then placed herself in the front seat of the minivan. "Are you ready Hanyu?" She called, eyes pegging him from the rear view mirror. A pair of red sunglasses perched high on her nose bridge and they reminded Hanyu of his own mother's over decorated sunglasses she would wear.

"Where are we going?" Hanyu said hoarsely as he picked at the tightly woven strap of his seat belt, feeling the texture of the threads under his fingernails. He loved when he could feel anything anymore. Hanyu would often dig his nails into the fabric around his knees and thighs. He could only imagine how soft the shag rug in his living room would feel on his finger tips, itching and tickling his nerve endings. Or, maybe how pleasant the fur of a kitty might feel be pressed to his palm ; or the nuzzle of a horse's plushy lips would kiss his cheek.

He might even enjoy a head-butt to the arm from a puppy, a signal to pet him.

"I'm taking you out to your new foster home." She said brightly, even though inside she wanted to give Hanyu his mother back. She wanted nothing but good for the younger who she had become close with over the course of that month in the hospital.

"Where's that?" He questioned.

"It's a lovely little farm about a half-hour from town." She explained, pulling out of the hospital parking lot.

"No one in my family wanted me?" Hanyu asked quietly, disappointing sadness flooding him.

"Oh honey it's not like that."

It was.

"They all just felt that this would be in your best interest." She lied through clenched teeth. Why lie to him?

Mrs. Hanson wanted to preserve some of those feelings. She didn't dare tear him down.