01. Study Breakers

summary:
pathetic staring leads to crush confessions. they/them used for reader.
gif from yookihee on pinterest <3

You and Casey were splayed out on her bed along with the textbooks, notecards, and writing utensils you both were trying to plow through homework with

You and Casey were splayed out on her bed along with the textbooks, notecards, and writing utensils you both were trying to plow through homework with. She was up against a pillow, her hair hanging down and her head in her hand as she hunched towards the notes sitting on her cris-crossed legs, and you were laying on your stomach bored to death at the end of the bed. It was mid-afternoon in the middle of winter and the sun was set to disappear any minute now, along with your ability to focus, but that didn't stop you from letting your mind wander away from the chapter on the French revolution you were supposed to be reading through.

Studying at the Gardner's was the perfect time for you to sneak glances at Casey without her noticing your obvious crush. As you admired her, you let your mind float off into space, then back down to the memory of you coming to her house after school for the first time. You were always aware of Casey's less than positive feelings towards her home, but that didn't stop your quiet love for it.

The first time you walked through the front door of the Gardner home you felt like you had found one of the few safe havens left in a post-apocalyptic dystopian hell scape. It smelled like cinnamon and oatmeal and there was a note from Casey's mom stuck to the fridge with a cherry magnet. Casey was always a walking breath of fresh air, to meet Casey was to get knocked to the ground and brought back to earth, and when you looked at her flopped on the couch that day, you noticed she slotted into the puzzle of her living room perfectly. When your eyes lingered to a particularly adorable picture of Casey hanging next to the stairs, you could imagine her toddler self scurrying around the living room with paint covered hands aiming to destroy fluffed pillows, wreaking havoc and growing up.

You wonder what sort of amazing thing you could have done for the universe to decide that toddler would grow up parallel to you and eventually end up doing chemistry homework in her bed while you stared at her and contemplated her entire existence, what kind of act on your part would warrant a reward like that? Suddenly, an uncapped pen gets thrown in your face. Ok, maybe she isn't a blessing all of the time.

"What was that for?" You ask as you rub where the pen jabbed into your nose.

"Oh my God-" Casey starts to say as she breaks down laughing, "I didn't mean to hit you that hard I'm so sorry-" She starts to reach out her hand to your face before you slap it away.

"You're laughing at me!" You gawk at her, eyes wide and grinning.

"I- It was just shocking, I didn't realize I was so buff!" Casey keeps cackling as you roll your eyes at her. "Hey- it's not my fault you were so enamored with me that you didn't notice a pen flying at your face."

"Can I not stare off into the distance anymore? Let me ponder the meaning of life in peace. Anyways, I'm not enamored, I'm just sick of France."

"Thank you for letting me know you contain multitudes. Wait- you're taking French?" Casey climbs over you as you swat at her, and she ends up at your left side, grabbing at your homework. "I thought you said taking French was for assholes."