CHAPTER 3

Please vote and comment guys !

I aimed the arrow at the target which was 20m away with my back and arm straight. And I let the arrow fly, it flew cutting through the air and embedded itself at the center of the target. Feeling satisfied I looked at my Upadhayi who nodded her head and turned towards my two sisters who were practicing silambam. They rotated the bamboo sticks and aimed at the wooden figurine. Looking at them I think back to the day they started training. Its been five years since they started.

_________________________________________________________

11 year old Arasi's pov

Arasi was in the training grounds with her father in the afternoon. Her curious eyes roamed over the soldiers that were training, her eyes shining with exitement. She had no idea what they were doing but whatever it was it seemed fun.

 She tugged at her fathers arm, her father turned towards her bending a little bit. "What is it little princess? " he asks her gently. "what are they doing papa?" little Arasi asked her eyes glued to the soldiers training.

"They are learning to fight Arasi, so that they can protect us and our kingdom" her father explained. " Even I want to protect our kingdom and learn to fight, papa !! " Arasi exclaimed. "Sure, sure" her  father laughed not taking the little girl seriously.

Arasi huffed and pouted seeing that her father did not take her seriously.

Late at night when little Arasi laid in bed with her mother beside her telling her the tales of little Krishna, she wasn't able to pay attention to her mother as her mind wandered back to the training grounds. With these thoughts she slowly drifted to sleep.

Days after,

Arasi was sitting in the room with her sisters listening to their Upadhayi teaching them about music. Her mind still stuck in the training grounds. Her Upadhayi noticing her absent mind the past few days called her after the class and enquired her about it. Arasi told the truth to her Upadhayi. Her Upadhayi smiled a little and told her " If you are really interested in learning I can teach you but on one condition you must have the permission of your father." Little Arasi nodded excitedly.

That very afternoon Arasi went to her fathers room and asked him about this matter. Her father was shocked at the dedication and the enthusiasm of the little princess to learn martial arts. "But Arasi you have no need to learn on how to fight, there will always be people to protect you. You are a princess with all the luxuries and comfort in the world, why do you want to learn such strenuous thing." he asked

"Papa, I honestly don't know but I really really want to learn it and protect our kingdom and myself" Little Arasi replied. After hours and hours of pleading her father finally agreed. The little princess's mother almost fainted on being informed about this. She tried to dissuade her daughter from learning as she was worried about her delicate daughter whose body was treated like a delicate porcelain. But Arasi did not budge.

The very next morning her Upadhayi started her training  early at dawn. Little Arasi who had never woken up this early had a hard time getting up. She almost gave up before the training even started but she gritted her teeth and woke up. The first couple of months were spent in training the body to be resilient. Her two sisters Aanya(third princess) and Ishani(fourth princess) also joined her as they also wanted to be strong. Eventually all her sisters joined but they gave up after few days, in the end only Arasi, Aanya ans Ishani were left.

After a couple of months of hand to hand combat training they started making themselves familiar with weapons. Soon they found weapons suitable for them. Aanya and Ishani ended up with silambam and Arasi with archery.

_________________________________________________________

Present (On the day Of Aanya's wedding)

Sister Aanya was looking like an apsara in her wedding lehenga.(picture at the begnning) Her skin was radiant with the glow of a new bride, her cheeks were tainted in pink making her look so beautiful. 

 Looking around I see everyone with smiles on their face especially Aanya's mother, her happiness knew no bounds. I had never seen Ma Darika so happy before. My eldest sister was quietly chatting with her husband who was king of a small self governed state. 

I hear some one call me I turn around to see Raj bhai, who was husband of second sister and a minister of fathers court. "Brinda is calling you , go to the mandap." he tells me. I go towards the mandap and see Aanya smiling at me, she tells me to sit beside her for the rest of the ceremony.

After the marriage rituals were done, it was time for kanyadaan. My father holds Aanya's hand and tells prince Tanvik to take care of her and keep her happy, Tanvik nods and my father hands his precious daughter to Tanvik. Till now it was my father who made sure Aanya was happy and safe now it was Tanvik's turn. I see Ma Darika with tears in her eyes, no mother will ever want to part with her daughter. Sister Aanya hugs our father and ma Darika, ma Kanti(first wife and queen), my mother, our brothers and our sisters.

 Finally she reaches me and hugs me tight, I sniffle my nose trying not to flood my eyes with tears. As she moves away I don't let her go, I don't want to. My sister gently removes my hands around her and cups my face and says "Don't worry Arasi I come to meet you regularly, behave yourself. Dont always be by yourself, try mingling with people, okay?"

I nod my head and said " as soon as you got married you became so mature,huh. I didn't know that marriage has such side effects." trying to lighten the mood. Sister Aanya pinches my cheek. 

Prince Tanvik comes to our side and promises" Princess Arasi I promise you I will take utmost care of your sister and she will come to meet you regularly." Then he holds sister Aanya's hand, looks at her and smiles. My sister averts her eyes and blushes. Awww

Then they start their procession and leave for Gandhara. My sister glances back and smiles one last time. My heart clenches, I will miss her a lot. 

_________________________________________________________

Hi celestial readers,

How was the chapter? The first few chapters will be all  about Arasi's family and childhood.I will introduce our male protagonist soon, are you guys excited??

Apsara: Celestial women known for their beauty, angle(kind of)

Mandaap: Altar for Indian weddings, covered structure with pillars.

Kanyadan: Ritual where a father hands over the responsibility of his daughter to his son in law

Please vote and comment guys !!

~Manvi