22.

I won't live a day without you....,

Mona and Wallace sat there in silence, the steam from the hot coffee added an air of confusion between them, "I'm sorry," He looked down, "Sorry, our daughter has been living a lie, what about Bridge?" She angrily tapped the table. "Did someone say Bridge?" He walked up behind them. Mona did the best she could to hold it all in. "Bridge," Wallace stood up, "Where is Alyssa?" He looked around the cafeteria, "She's with Teagan," Mona spoke first rolling her eyes and breathing out a huff of air.

Wallace took him by the arm leaving Mona stewing at the table, "What happened?" Bridge inquired with a serious stare, "Seems Teagan was leaving her building and as she was crossing the street a car hit her she's unconscious and they really haven't said what the extent of her injuries are," Bridge lowered his head, "Alyssa must be wracked," He worded, Wallace looked away, "Wallace, where is she?" She's in the room with her, I was able to contact her mother in Boston and she's on the way, Cal Jackson is her attending, I talked him into allowing Alyssa to stay with her," He relayed.

"I'm going to wait in the waiting room," He pointed, "I'll get Mona, we will join you in a bit, they parted. Mona sat there, tears streaked her face, "How could you lie to me?" She asked Wallace as he rejoined her. "Alyssa confided in me Mona, what would you have me do? I gave her my word she didn't want to hurt you and she wanted to handle it on her own," She squinted her eyes, "How long have you known," She prodded him, "Does it matter?" He swallowed hard saying. Mona became stoic and quiet, "Maybe you should talk to her, I think we are beyond any shock now," He was adamant.

Mona quickly got up from the table, passing Bridge by without a word she headed back down the hall finding Alyssa in the small makeshift waiting room across from the room, "Where is she?" Mona asked with tension, "They've taken her for x rays," She wiped a tear from her face. Mona breathed in deeply, "What's going on Alyssa?" She crossed her arms her heart sinking to her feet, Alyssa turned back to her, "What do mean mother?" She drew the words from her mouth, "I heard you," She clinched her jaw, "You heard what?" Alyssa was quick to ask. "How you feel about her," Alyssa put the back of her hand to her forehead.

"I never wanted you to find out this way," She answered solemnly. "How could you do this to Bridge, your family?" She cried out, "I don't expect for you to understand mother, but I love her, I love her in ways you could never understand, it's what I feel, I never meant to cause you or our family pain or anguish," She rehearsed. Mona moved closer to her, "Bridge is in the waiting room, he's worried for you both, how fair is that Alyssa he's your husband," She raised her voice.

"I know that mother, I never wanted this for him, I can't change how or what I feel, I've tried," Mona clutched her by the shoulders, "You need to make this up to him he needs to know the truth Alyssa," She demanded. "It won't matter what I tell him he won't take it well and he will leave me and the firm," She was prepared for the worst. "What about us our family, your church?" Alyssa bit her lower lip, "I will make it up to you all," She became desperate, they wheeled Teagan back to her room.

A small woman entered the room with her Bailey followed closely behind, Mona pulled Alyssa away from their sight, "What about them, her girlfriend?" Alyssa moaned under her breath, "Let me go mother," She pulled away from her, Mona watched as Alyssa joined them in the room. "Hi, I'm Marilyn Kath, Teagan's mother, " She responded to Alyssa handshake. "Bailey," Alyssa spoke to her, "Alyssa how did you know?" She could see the sullen look on Bailey's face, "My mother is a volunteer here," She explained. "Thank you and please thank your father," Marilyn voiced.

"I will, but I'm not going anywhere," She took Marilyn by the hand squeezing it, Marilyn gave her an odd look and then looked to Bailey, "Bailey, could you get me a cup of hot tea please," Bailey nodded leaving the room. Alyssa pursed her lips, "I guess you know," Marilyn's blue eyes lightened up, "Yes, she has shared, but she said you aren't available and I know Bailey," Alyssa raised her hand walking over to Teagan, "Right now my only worry is your daughter, later, I don't want to hurt Bailey and right now this time should only be about Teagan," Marilyn nodded.