chapter 8

71 WHAT IS MY REAL NAME?

          After all, Throg left her with almost one thousand gold worth of credit slips from the merchant's guild. wards, and scrolls to sell, and a pile of coins he could not carry with him. Throg thought this form if she was dressed up to be Alluring. That's it he snapped Allura, Allura from wisdom, sounds like a good name he said. These clothes are just common clothes, if you want to stand out honey get a dress to show those curves. Throg thought maybe he just might. He had to get out of this city, but still had a whole day till he was set to meet Nanscreant. That was fine with him, there was something he needed to do alone. He had to stop and buy owl's blood, then left town. He eventually found two toads by the creek, he headed off into the woods and began to draw a circle.

          He wondered as he drew, he always felt safe because he did not know his true name. But he identified with the name Throg so much these days, that may be his true name now. Regardless he wanted to know it, and get some other questions answered, it was time. After sealing the circle, he wrote the old man's true name in it. He remembered seeing it in the books as a kid, Jackson Cynn son of Jack. That had to be his true name. After he was done, he pulled the two toads from his pouch. Reciting the power words, he crushed the toads, one in each gloved fist. Yes! Said the voice in his head. He took the nice full lamprey that he had just fed, he squished it underfoot. It alone nearly powered the circle, along with the two toads, Throg barely used any of his own mystic energy. The circle flared to life; a grey mist swirled around the other side of the circle.

          What do you want, summoner? It said in a wispy, but deep voice, it looked like a wisp of grey wind. Answers Throg said in a firm, loud voice, are you Jackson Cynn? Yes, it answered I was, and you are? It asked. Your son Throg, it let out a strange laugh that sounded like air blowing down a valley of dead leaves. At least Throg was pretty sure that was a laugh. You still call yourself that child, it said, then I guess you are a Throg. That is what a pirate used to do to a smaller, weaker or defenseless person. Who was my mother? Asked Throg, I am under no compulsion to answer any of your questions, Throg. You will answer them! Throg yelled, you'll have to beat the answers from me, said the ghost. My pleasure, suddenly he felt a tickle behind his eyes. He was using psionics? even in death I will Throg you, it said. The psionic, whatever it was, was easy enough to beat normally, the circle made it even easier.

          Throg just smiled, a lightning bolt shot down barely missing the entity. You'll have to do better than that, the Throg, you fool said jack, your circle will protect your mind, but I will destroy your weak body. The next one won't miss, said the summoner. Suddenly branches, and logs flew in from all around, and instantly formed into a physical body. Where before only a grey wisp of a wind funnel was at, now was a twelve foot tall monstrosity made of trees and branches of various vegitation. It looked as an animated puppet, as it stepped toward him Throg was casting. Before it got to him the armor of Ithan appeared on him, a big tree branch slammed into him. It did not hurt, but launched him up and away, Throg caught himself in flight out of the creature's reach. Just like the coward Throg, run and hide from a bigger foe right. Another lightning bolt split the air, and it did not miss, the behemoth staggered back. So ya got magic now kick toy, you're still hiding, still small and weak. I have magic now whore's son, I can do either, said Throg, prove it, he answered. Throg began casting, the creature that used to be his father picked up a log and threw it. He is wood burn him! Said his inner voice. That was a solid plan Throg decided. 

          His aim was right on, but Throg was faster in flight. It flew by, Throg never even stopped casting during. By the time the log flew by Throg was twenty feet tall and weighed thousands of pounds. He landed saying, if only strength impresses you try this on for size. He landed with a double punch to the shoulders knocking the wood creature back. The melee of the two giants knocked over trees as they slammed into one another. They traded blows back and forth, Throg had to think he finally won some respect from the old man. They slammed into a tree, Throg held him there, who was my mother he yelled into its face. He answered with a punch to the face, I owe you nothing, he said. You will answer me said the giant, I will kill you! Stated the entity. Throg got a firm grip on both shoulders and threw him across the clearing. Two trees cracked and splintered from the force, then he began to cast, you will answer my questions now, said Throg. The wooden giant stopped rigid, Throg knew his magic had triumphed over Jack's will. What was my mother's name? He asked, Masandre. Who was she? A changeling that, identified as a female, a worshiper of Bayus. There's that name again he thought.