"That wallpaper would only be found when civilization comes to an end," my aunt said.

I held back an eye roll and lied. "I'm at school."

"I thought there was no school today?" my aunt asked.

"I came to do some volunteer work at the elementary school," I lied. My eyes searched the room for proof and landed on a toy plane that was hidden in a corner. I grabbed it and showed it to my aunt. "See? The kids only want to play but I have to get them to read a story about a dull fisherman."

"It's not the tragic drama I read is it?" my aunt asked dismissing my surroundings. "The main character died in that one. Can the kids handle it?"

"It's not that one. It's a different book," I lied.

"All right, then. So, why'd you call?" My aunt asked.

"Can't your favorite niece call you to say hi?" I asked in a very polite and sweet voice.

"You know very well you are not my favorite niece. Your cousin Yuri is," my aunt said.

I wish I could throw a tomato on her. I knew very well my family didn't like me, but did she really have to say it out loud like that? It was like when she had told me I wasn't good enough when I was helping out a book-keeper. Or when my grandfather ordered a package for his favorite granddaughter and of course gave it to my cousin. Meanwhile, I had received a pair of water goggles for my birthday from him. Apparently they were so that I could learn to swim and make it to the Olympics someday. I already knew how to swim. I wasn't an expert on it, but I could survive.

"Sorry, I have to go," my aunt said. She hung up before I could say goodbye.