Chapter 13: Two-faced and double-edged

"How are you feeling now, Ela?" Nike asked as they were eating breakfast. It's the third day since Ela was left under their care by her comrades.

"A little better compared to the first few days after the encounter," Ela said simply as she picked at the fish bones of the fried tinapa (smoked fish) they were having for breakfast. Phoenix was able to pick some tomatoes from their vegetable garden as a fitting partner.

"Why did it take you days after the incident to get here? We could have prevented the infection by using sterilized instruments in treating the gunshot wound," Nike lightly rebuked the pregnant visitor

"My comrades did their best considering that we had to keep on moving to evade the hot pursuit operations," Ela said in an impassive tone, remembering how she was carried on the back of her comrades as they fled from their pursuers.

"That must be tough," Phoenix said with a sigh. He couldn't imagine how difficult everything was for Ela considering her delicate condition.

"Yeah, we were in a different municipality when we encountered government troops patrolling the area. It wasn't a stronghold yet so we were not forewarned about their presence. Two comrades gave up their lives so that majority of us can escape. It took us 5 nights before we can come back here since we had to avoid the major and usual routes that civilians used," Ela said as she placed a slice of tomato between her teeth before chewing it with gusto.

"Five nights? It was that far?" Nike asked incredulously before sipping on his freshly brewed coffee.

"Uhm, yeah. We weren't supposed to go back here yet but that incident changed our plans," Ela said ruefully before taking a swig from the tall glass of fresh cow's milk that Diego gave her this morning.

"I really wish that you would file your maternity leave from now on," Nike implored Ela anxiously before shoveling rice into his mouth using his bare hands. They always use their bare hands when eating smoked fish because the fishes are small and couldn't be picked apart properly by spoon and fork.

"I have no choice. I am supposed to rest on my seventh month which is later this month. I just got sidelined earlier than expected," Ela said nonchalantly with a careless shrug of her shoulders.

"At least I can detect some fetal movements now. But we still need an ultrasound to be sure," Nike hummed in contemplation, remembering how weak the fetal heartbeat registered in his portable fetal Doppler.

"I have a doctor downtown, she knows about my situation," Ela said cryptically as she stood to wash her hands on the sink.

"Isn't it dangerous right now? We don't know if she is under surveillance," Phoenix asked cautiously. He knew that Nike would insist on accompanying Ela to her doctor so he could compare notes and consult with her for better monitoring of Ela's condition.

"That is also one of my concerns right now," Ela sighed defeatedly as she returned to the table while wiping her damp hands on the loose pants she was wearing.