His last case

My dear friends,

It is with deep regret that I write to you about the death of the greatest detective who ever has lived, and who ever will live. The infamous consulting detective, Sherlock Holmes. This story starts in a library on a bright winter's morning, quite the opposite of where you would imagine villainous deeds being planned.

Dr John Watson, Sherlock Holmes' faithful assistant sits alone in a quiet room in the library, researching for their current case, when he hears what appear to be three voices coming from just outside the door.

"Look, it's Doctor John Watson, the one who saved lives," says the first in a high pitched chirp.

"Saved lives?" queries the second, a twisted gasp, "Why speak in past tense? He still saves lives doesn't he?"

"Not anymore, he won't be saving anyone anytime soon," says the third in a deep baritone.

"Oh yes. That's right," Recalls the first voice again, "Next time, the gun will be in the other hand,"

This last statement galvanises Watson to jump out of his chair and run to fling open the door. What follows next are a series of events that he says still haunt him and will likely haunt him, to the end of his days.

"Moriarty," The word escapes his lips like a sliver of escaped mist.

"Hi John," Moriarty replies in a sing song manner, "Did you like my predictions? You're soooooo boring you know? So, predictable. Just speak about death and he appears, like a magic trick. It sure makes you wonder why he couldn't save his only, lovely child, with a relationship like that with death."

"How do you know about my daughter?" asks John, "Mary only told me this morning."

"Ah yes, dear Mary, John Watson's completely faithful wife who is not in any way hiding secrets from him. If I were you", says Moriarty, completely ignoring him, "I'd ask about the part where she dies. I promise it's really interesting."

"No! Tell me how you knew first" Yells John "And what do you mean about Mary!"

In response, Moriarty just widens his eyes and draws his fingers across his lips in a 'my lips are sealed' motion.

"TELL ME!" screams John, pulling out a gun and aiming it at him.

"Now I wouldn't do that if I were you John," Moriarty speaks after a short pause, "We wouldn't want anything happening to the only person who knows anything."

"Tell. Me." He replies, enunciating each word clearly and slowly.

In response, Moriarty just shakes his head and says two simple words. "Uh uh"

"Fine," he spits out after a pause, "Why does my daughter die?"

"Finally!" Groans Moriarty "Well now, I suppose you can't really blame poor old Sherlock. After all, he is a psychopath. Excuse me" he says in response to John opening his mouth to talk, "high functioning sociopath" he says, making quotation marks over the words.

"No," states John shaking his head, "No. Sherlock wouldn't do that"

"Well you never know John," sings Moriarty, "say that someone, not naming any names, sets a bomb, in the most populated place in the city. The only way to stop it? To push one child off a bridge. The life of one, or the life of hundreds? And after all, the child could still survive."

"But she doesn't, does she?" John asks,

"No John." Moriarty replies sadly "No she doesn't. But, there's still a way of stopping all this. . . "

"Wait!" John yells, "Wait a minute! Sherlock is the best consulting detective in the world, he would never let himself get tricked like that."

"Are you sure John?" asks Moriarty, "Remember who outsmarted him last time we met?"

"No," said John, a sense of glum horror dawning over him, "No wait, what about Mary? What do you mean about Mary keeping secrets from me?"

Smiling, Moriarty replied, "A consulting criminal doesn't kiss and tell. But I will tell you this. You'll have to ask her yourself, and John? There's nothing that Sherlock will be able to do and there's only one way to stop him."

Finished with his piece, Moriarty jumped to the window and makes as if to jump out, at the last minute he turned and looked over his shoulder at John and spoke two clear words. "Kill him."

I love cliff hangers don't you? Actually no I hate them and they all deserve to die. Sorry guys, this is just where I felt like ending it. Hope you like it, and I'll try to update as quickly as possible. A few quick things, Mary is John's wife and Moriarty is Sherlock's greatest enemy. A while back, Sherlock and Moriarty both faked their deaths. I think that's it.