The Things We Bury

Seth woke up slowly, causing his brain to shoot into overdrive. He hadn't gotten over three hours of sleep a night in the past five years. Unless he was injured, of course, so this change of pace was startling.

That overdrive stopped the moment he smelled lavender and a very faint vanilla.

He looked down to find Simmons sleeping peacefully on his chest, arms wrapped tightly around him, smiling in her sleep.

Seth watched the gentle rise and fall of her chest as the biochemist nuzzled closer to him, her head falling into the crook of his neck.

He glanced over at his clock: quarter until five. Seth knew that Simmons was always up at five, whether it be to go for a run or start on her lab work. He began to run his scarred fingers through her shortened hair, earning a small mewl from the biochemist.

Slowly, her chocolate brown eyes fluttered open and met Seth's.

"There she is," He cooed quietly, "Sleep good?"

"Hi," She responded, voice groggy.

"Do you need--"

"No," She protested immediately, clutching him tighter and letting out a content sigh, "I want to stay like this."

A small chuckle escaped him, "Whatever you want."

Flashback:

"Alright, Charon, just like last time," Emily looked across the closed door to Seth.

He looked at her.

"Oh, don't bring that up," She huffed quietly, bracing her sidearm with her kukri, "On your mark."

Seth silently shouldered his SMG and knocked on his helmet.

Emily detonated the charge on the door and Seth lobbed a flash grenade into the room.

One concussive blast later and the two specialists rushed in, lead flying out of their weapons.

"Freya, three o'clock," Alyssa sounded through their comms.

Emily swiveled and buried her kukri in the man's chest.

Seth continued on his rampage, clearing through rooms like clockwork.

"Charon, your six," Alyssa sounded again.

He spun around and unloaded three rounds into the man, two center mass and one in the throat.

"Damn," Alyssa muttered while watching.