'Peter, dude, where are you going?' One of the other boys from the soccer team calls out when I get up from the table during our study period.

'Gotta talk to Jacob about our English presentation,' I wave over my shoulder, eyes focused on a table in the far corner of the year twelve common room.

I don't actually need to talk to Jacob about our English presentation. If I really needed to I could just text him about meeting to study after school, which actually, isn't a bad idea. I might do that...Mum's been on my back about homework recently, last night she got so mad that she banned me from having friends over for the next two weeks.

But if Jacob is over to study then...Hah.

Peter: one, Mum: zero.

'Hey!' I say when I reach Jacob's table, sliding into one of the three empty spaces and sitting down, 'whatcha doing?'

Jacob looks up. Shrugs. Looks back down at his notebook.

'Studying.' He mutters.

I should probably mention that Jacob now says the occasional three to five syllables to me if I ask him something. Which is a big deal, because the other week - when Nazzim and I went to his training - Jacob wouldn't say a word. Like, nothing. So, in short, I feel special now.

'Oh,' I push forward on my elbows, 'what subject?'

'Art.'

'Cool.'

Jacob flicks through a textbook filled with colourful paintings and long paragraphs, one earbud hanging down from his shirt collar.

'What are you listening to?'

'Stay.'

'Cool, cool, I've been really into Lauv recently. But I do like The Kid LAROI too, except for some of his older ones. They're a little mean, you know the 'can't make a wife out of a hoe' one?'

'Yeah.' Jacob is looking at me, like, really looking at me.

Like, his eyes are on my face, and I think that I just saw the corner of his lip quirk. I trail off, and I can feel my eyes widening a little, and I don't blink, because Jacob is looking at me, and I have no idea what to do. I swallow, fully aware of the way Jacob's eyes are searching my face.

Then I blurt, 'did you wanna study with me at my table?'

_____________________

Please don't forget to vote and comment 💗🥰