CHAPTER THREE

The feeling of someone running their fingers through my scalp pulls me out of my deep slumber and I became more aware of the background noises that come with it.

I opened my eyes carefully to see my environment, I remember sleeping in the living room with my siblings and friends. I saw my grandma watching me fondly with her white lips stretching into a smile making me more awake.

She was lying next to me with her oxygen tube going through her nose and the sound of the machine beeping beside her, I pulled myself into her in a sideways hug and I felt her weak laughter vibrate through my body.

“How was your night?” She inquired still running her fingers through my hair.

“It was fine, Xavier followed me back on Instagram,” I said grinning like an idiot.

“Is that so? So, you finally decided to follow him Uhm,” she asked smiling.

“We played truth or dare yesternight and Mira dared me to, he followed me immediately grandma,” I explained to her not losing my grin.

“That’s fine, all that remains is a film school and you make short videos of what you can do, post it on Instagram and he notices your talent.” She said listing what I have always rambled about.

“It will be a dream come through if I am to be in the same shoot location with him,” I told her smiling.

“I am sure he will be the happiest person to see you,” grandma murmured 

“What do you mean?” I asked her.

“Nothing honey, nothing at all.” She lied.

“Baby, you remembered what I told you yesterday?” I heard mom enquired from above me.

I looked up to see her, dad, my siblings, and friends looking at me all with frowns on their faces but mom had tears in her eyes also.

I nod my head in response sadly, “Is it happening today?” I whispered brokenly.

“I wish I could stay honey, but I am feeling faint already and I need rest from the pain,” grandma answered dejectedly.

“I understand, I will miss you,” I said finding interest in my fingers as I twist them into one another but I was stopped by a mom who sat beside me on the bed, she took my hands into hers and gives me a warm smile.

I tend to twist my fingers like that when nervous and if not cautioned it might lead to a full-blown anxiety attack.

“Look at me Lola,” grandma requested shakily, I looked at her blaming myself silently for the sadness present in her eyes.

“When I am gone, some secrets will be revealed promise me not to be angry at your parents or your family, it was all my fault and I am sorry for keeping you away from them,” she said making me confused about her words.

“What secret and who are they?” I questioned.

“I am very sorry honey; I am selfish and greedy I didn’t think about you and how to hurt you will be when you find out. Please forgive me.” She replied instead which made me more curious and confused at her words.

“Mom, Dad what is grandma talking about?” I asked my parents but they looked away from me and my siblings and friends also avoided my eyes.

I knew they know what she was talking about, but why are they not sharing and why is grandma apologizing to me, when she has done nothing wrong to me?

“Grandma, I don’t know what you are talking about but I forgive you,” I said instead having it in mind to probe my family till they tell me what she meant.