Chapter 4

A hour later...

Iggy: We found small lesions in your mother's brain. And they're the reason why she been so confused.

Linus: Okay...

The woman who stands next to Iggy: It's a rare misidentification disorder known as Capgras syndrome.

Linus: But what does that even mean?

Iggy: Well, it's like her brain's facial recognition system has been rewired. And the emotional ties that she should feel when she looks at you both are lost...She doesn't feel them.

The woman who stands next to Iggy: She thinks you are an imposter.

Linus: But...but...I'm not...I mean,I'm me. She was fine when I went to camp and...I don't understand what's happening...

The woman who stands next to Iggy: If the lesions were in a different spot, maybe we could do surgery, but in your mother's case, it's not an option.

Linus: Well,there's gotta be some medicine she can take,right?

Iggy: Yeah, I've already prescribed it, but the meds will only stops her symptoms from getting worse...Uh... Linus, there's no easy way to say this. Your mother is never going to recognize you again. Her condition is permanent.

Linus: So she's never gonna know who I am...?

Iggy: I am so sorry.

Linus: But...but she's my mom...I mean...I don't have anyone else who...well...what am I supposed to do? W-where will I go? She's my mom...

*Y/n takes his hand*

Later...

*Iggy opens the door*

Y/n: Good luck...

Linus: ...Can you come with me...?

Y/n: Yeah...sure...

*Y/n and Linus walk in*

Linus's mother: You!

Linus: She doesn't want to see me...

Iggy: No,no,no...Yana, hang on, listen...Just hear him out, okay?

Linus's mother: He broke into my house!

Iggy: I know, I know and that must have been really scary. But I'm asking you if you would please let him explain. That's all.

*Linus's mother nods*

Iggy: Thank you. Good, okay...

*Linus walks some steps forward*

Linus: I...uh...I did break in...And I'm really sorry about that...

Iggy: Tell her why.

Linus: I...uh...I...I just lost my mom...And...uh...it was sudden. And... didn't know what to do, where to go, but...your place...your place, it felt safe...Felt familiar...Like home...

Linus's mother: I'm sorry about your mom. I know how hard that must be.

Linus: I just really miss her.

Linus's mother: What was she like?

*Linus looks at Iggy*

Iggy: I know...Go on. Tell her...

*Linus sits on a chair*

Linus: She was...one of a kind. She was funny...and smart and honest....