Introduction

Here is the eighth and final project for Open Novella this year! And yes, the title is a pun on the Undertales title, albeit it has nothing to do with that fandom.

What prompt are you using?

I am using number fifty-seven, "For as long as you've rented the house, the door to the cupboard under the stairs has always been locked and you never paid it any mind. You wake one morning, and discover that not only is it unlocked, but wide open."

What fandom are you writing for?

Harry Potter

What do readers not familiar with the fandom need to know?

I think a lot of readers are familiar with Harry Potter, but this particular story starts at the beginning of the first book going completely AU and the OC in my story will hopefully make the necessary references where needed.

What is the inspiration for the story?

What Harry Potter fan wouldn't jump instantly to the Harry Potter fandom, knowing his original room was in the cupboard. It was then a matter of figuring out exactly what I wanted to do with it, and having an OC become a character in the fandom seemed like the logical choice, but as I thought about it, I found myself deciding the character would be female, that they wouldn't be... oh, wait. That's spoilers for the story. :)

Effectively, there's a specific way fandom tends to "look" at certain tropes and tackle it within the Harry Potter fandom and I wanted to write a story that looks at the typical way they're handled and hopefully turn them on their head somehow.

Well, I must admit having someone transported to the world of Harry Potter through the cupboard isn't something I've seen before, but it's a bit more than that. But I also want it so that if you're not familiar with the tropes used in Harry Potter fanfic that it wouldn't matter.

How did you incorporate the prompt?

The cupboard is how my MC ends up in the world of Harry Potter as the younger sister of Harry, so effectively how the story ends up starting.

Word Count

Chapter 1 - 1,105
Chapter 2 -  2,123
Chapter 3 - 3,188
Chapter 4 - 4,236
Chapter 5 - 6,042
Chapter 6 - 7,184
Chapter 7 - 8,517
Chapter 8 - 9,727
Chapter 9 - 10,910
Chapter 10 - 11,921
Chapter 11 - 13,280
Chapter 12 - 14,452
Chapter 13 - 15,700
Chapter 14 - 16,841
Chapter 15 - 17,916
Chapter 16 - 19,158
Chapter 17 - 20,283
Chapter 18 - 21,480
Chapter 19 - 22,829
Chapter 20 - 24,166 Fin