short story task

prompt here was to write bout a chracetr in the middle of a movement and their thoughts n feelings etc

-

Peter woke up to shouting from his mother to get up for school. He walked downstairs and started hearing the broadcast playing on the TV. "Many civilians have gathered around the state house in order to rally against the anti-gay marriage law. Police are onsite and have already made several arrests" the news reporter spoke. "Tch, those stupid gay people thinking they can do whatever they want in this country. They are ruining families" Peter's mother said. Peter looked at the ground and quietly sat down at the table, eating the cereal he had prepared for himself.

On his way to school Peter thought to himself about the situation he's currently in. Citizens in his state were rallying against homophobia in the law, and Peter couldn't help at all, because of his homophobic mother. She would flip if she find out her own son was gay.

Once Peter arrived at his school he got greeted by his friend Mark. "Hey did you see what was on the news? How did your mom react?" He asked. "She uhm... didn't react the best, you could say. She said gay people are ruining families or something..." Peter said, looking down at his shoes. Mark looked concerned and pet him on the back. "It'll be ok." Mark said with a reassuring smile, and Peter returned the smile.

After school Peter had planned to go to the city library to study with Mark, but Mark got a phone call and had to go home quickly. Peter decided he might as well just go by himself, so he texted his mum and got on the train. As he got on he saw a group of police men talking to a few civilians holding up rainbow flags. He couldn't hear them well because of the volume in the train, but he saw one of the officers writing something down and one of the civilians crying. He turned around and walked to the other side of the carriage.

He exited at the station and was en route to the library. As he walked across a main road there was a sudden roar of voices behind him and soon he was swept up in the crowd of activists.

He had to get out of this crowd as soon as possible, there were cameras everywhere and who knows at what point one could accidentally broadcast his face to his mum watching at home. Peter began trying to squeeze his way out of the crowd, a river of sorry's and excuse me's flowing out his mouth. As he pushed through the crowd, he started to tear up, as this was a cause worth fighting for, yet he couldn't allow himself to participate because of his familial restrictions and views.

Peter decided that it would be in his best interest to just walk away and pretend as if this event never occurred. As he walked down the sidewalk he bumped into another woman and a man. "Sorry." Peter spoke, not looking up. "Oh no, it's my fault." The woman said in return, "Would you like to donate to help the cause?" The man asked Peter. Peter stopped walking and looked up at the tin can the two were holding. On it read, 'donations to stop homophobia within schools'. Peter let out a small huff of air and smiled. "Yea sure. Hold on a moment" Peter spoke as he reached in his bag to pull out his wallet. He dropped a five dollar bill within the can and put his wallet back into his bag. "Thank you greatly!" The two said, "Here have this as a donation gift." The man said smiling, handing Peter a small rainbow bracelet. Peter took the bracelet and waved goodbye to the strangers.

Peter fidgeted with the bracelet as he hesitantly slid it onto his wrist, hiding it under his school blazer. He smiled to himself as he continued to walk towards the library. It wasn't the most he could do, but he was proud of himself for making a start.

-

that's the end of this one lols

i might add more bc like im kidan invested

like mark knows hes gay but what if peter conffesed to him

also this defo isnt an nct refernece