Chapter 7: Rap Or Go to the League

Immediately upon pulling out my phone on the ride home from the doctor, I saw a DM from Alex.

--

uglymug_uno: you sound like you can spit. free tonight?

gfletch: bro. what?

U: do you rap?

G: never tried

U: come over to me and ethans tonight

G: why

U: all im saying is we got a full studio in our basement.

G: you have my attention. i guess ill see what i can do

--

Apparently Alex saw some real rapping talent in me. I enjoyed rap, but had never tried it for myself. I paid off my brother to drive me to their house by convincing him I'd do the laundry later after spending 5 minutes trying to figure out where they lived. Upon walking in, I was greeted by Alex's mom, who, instead of a hello, pointed to the stairs leading to the basement. I took my shoes off and walked down to the basement where one of the twins was shooting pool.

"Yo, Alex." What was evidently Ethan mumbled, briefly looking up from the pool table. Alex poked his head out from what seemed to be a closet. 

"Come on in!" Alex shouted. I heeded, sidling towards the closet door. Upon looking inside, I found that Alex was right, with a full setup complete with a soundproof room and microphone. It looked, simply put, professional. I couldn't believe it.

"I just finished mixing this new track and I want you to try it out. I think you have a good rapping voice." Alex leaned back in his chair.

"I don't rap." I nervously laughed. Was this a set-up?

"Wanna see me do it?"

"Sure." I looked at Ethan, who put his game on hold to join us in the studio, walking into Alex's recently vacated chair. Without a word, he handed me some headphones from a nearby rack. I tuned them in as Alex walked into the soundproof room.

"Hit me with number 18." Alex spoke into the microphone, tapping it. Ethan pressed a few buttons, and I began hearing a song. It sounded sad and nostalgic, like if you were walking down the street of your childhood home.

Alex dove into it.

"Never found my place in the crowd, so I'm sticking it out,
They laughed at me then, but look at their faces right now,
Ethan gave me the blueprint, I'm just tracing it out,
Never chasing the clout, I'm just embracing my route."

It was beautiful. I had no idea this 12-year old kid could rap like a pro. That was some big boasting for somebody who was stuck on the end of the bench. Alex motioned for Ethan to cut the music. Ethan tickled some buttons and the music stopped.

"Wanna try? We've got this great new beat I think you should hear. We was up all night on it for you."

"I bet you were. Let's hear it. You got lyrics for me?"

"Of course." Alex motioned to Ethan, who handed me a crumpled sheet of paper. I didn't even get time to look at the lyrics before Alex was begging me to join him in the soundproof room. Ethan followed me in as Alex stepped out.

"E's gonna take the first part. You'll come in when I tap you." Alex beamed from behind the glass as he started a second song. It sounded almost like something I had heard before. Ethan stepped close to the mike.

"Easy, ready, willing, overtime!" I was taken aback by Ethan's beautiful singing voice. As much 'talent' as Alex had, he was dwarfed by Ethan's smooth, soulful voice. He continued belting out the Hall and Oates classic.

"Where does it stop; where do you dare me to draw the line?" Ethan sang as Alex walked back into the studio. He had a set of chords on him.

"You've got my body, now you want my soul," All three of us huddled around the mike. I found Ethan's singing ability to be more impressive given that I could probably count on one hand the amount of words he's spoken to anybody since I've known him.

"Don't even think about it, say no more." Ethan finished and reverted back to his inward, meek expression. I nodded, impressed. The song went on for a couple more seconds as we all stood around in silence. Then, to break it up, Alex tapped me on the shoulder. I gave it a try.

"Doin' such a good job, I'll pat myself on the back." My first line was successful in not embarrassing myself. I decided to press onward. Maybe I could crack the first few lines.

"Flight confirmation, I pay through the app,
Nobody better than me, playing like I'm hiding the strap,
Anywhere we go, we put SoCal on the map.
Shawty told me that she loves me, say I love me back.
Better be from Stock or I ain't going for that,
Say that they on top but I can sniff out the cap
Know I'm addicted to the game, I can never relapse, so"
"I can't go for that, no, no can do..." Ethan's voice sort of trailed off.

"No can do!" Alex shouted, before Ethan repeated himself. It was the most synchronous duet I had ever listened to, and it was unfolding right before my eyes.

"Take the second verse, G!" Alex shouted. I already had the paper memorized.

"I called your phone, you ain't answer yours,
I ain't going for the bull, like a matador,
Text me, if I don't reply quick, you trip,
I'm jefe, I'm the highest on the list,
Kick it like judo, the numero uno, yes, I'm the highness,
My house is so deep in the hood that can't nobody find us
Driveway so long that you could run out of gas,
Keep asking for money, need to get off your-"

"Whoops!" Alex cut me off. Ethan continued that stellar hook.

These guys were amazing. I think I had just found my new side hustle.