Happy Birthday

Merlin's POV

I wandered around the field of flowers, their fragrant aromas wafted towards me as I searched the area for the perfect ones to give to Arthur. It was my lovers birthday today and I wanted to get him a nice gift.

After searching for a couple more minutes I spotted a small patch of light blue flowers. I walked closer to them in order to get a better look. I kneeled down to examine the fragile plant. They were mesmerizing. The soft and calming cerulean reminded me of Arthur's sparkling blue eyes. I grinned happily as I though about Arthur. He probably would call me a girl for giving him flowers. I picked the flowers and began to make my way back to Camelot. The sun rose behind me just as I walked through the gates of the castle.

-----

I slowly open Arthur's chamber door. I sneak into the room as quietly as possible, trying my best not to wake Arthur just yet. I place his breakfast down on the table. A healthy assortment of fruits and berries along with some bread, ham, and cheese.

I hold the flowers behind my back as I make my way to the side of his bed. I stand there for a few moments. My heart beating rapidly as I look at his peaceful, sleeping face. I'm always grateful that I'm the only one that is able to see him in this state every morning.

I lean forward and plant a kiss on his forehead to wake him up. I could already feel the blush rising in my cheeks. I move back slightly when I see his eyes flutter open. He breaks into a smile when he sees me.

I spot a mischievous glint in his eyes before he reaches a hand towards me, grabbing the back of my head and pulling my face in for a kiss. Our lips are pushed together. I melt into the kiss, savouring every moment. We eventually break apart.

"I love being able to see your face first thing every morning," says Arthur with a wide grin on his face.

I chuckle and bring the flowers out from behind my back. "Happy birthday Arthur!" I beam, sticking out the flowers towards him.

His eyes widen in surprise, taking the flowers from my hands, "They're beautiful. Where did you get them?"

"From the field just at the edge to the darkling woods."

"It's dangerous to go there by yourself Merlin."

"I can protect myself!"

"What if you got hurt?"

"But I didn't."

He sighs, "I'm actually more surprised you remembered."

"Of course I did! I don't forget people's birthdays unlike a certain prat I know."

"I said I was sorry Merlin," he hugs me, giving me a small peck on the lips.

"I'm still not going to forgive you," I say stubbornly.

"Fine I'll make it up to you."

I quirk up an eyebrow, "oh and how will you do that?"

"I'll make your next birthday the greatest of you life. I promise."

"I'll hold you to that promise then!" I laugh, throwing his red tunic at him before letting him eat his breakfast.

-----

~Merlin's Birthday (Same year) ~

I sat alone in Arthur's chambers. The heavy rain thundered down heavily against the window. I glanced around the room, taking in every little memory that we had shared together within these walls. I pulled my knees up closer to my chest, wrapping my arms around them. I started to cry. I let the tears flow freely down my cheeks. I could taste the salt as they slid past my lips. The ones that longed for Arthur's touch once more.