Prologue

ADHOC - Built for a purpose

1989

"Oh God, what happened to him?"

"I have no idea, Sir. We went out back and we saw Frogbot on the floor. It making a really weird creaking noise..."

Phil and Marie are standing in front of Frogbot, who is held up by a metal container, covering his lower half. Frogbot has a long, metal pole that connects his body, which has a screen attached at the front of it. The pole also connects his neck, making very limited movement for his head. At the top, there was a rectangular head with large eyes at the sides, making him look like a frog, hence his name. There is a long line on his face, resembling a mouth, which lights up every time he speaks. He can also play VHS tapes, which is why he has a screen on his torso. At the sides of his body are two, long slender arms, which have freaky-looking claws, resembling hands. To finish everything off, there is a red tie around his neck. The purpose of the tie is to test a new system ADHOC is trying to get across.

 The reason Frogbot exists is to entertain humans by singing. But today, Frogbot showed something very, very different.

 But today, Frogbot showed something very, very different

"Lord... what went wrong..." Phil said as he paid attention to Frogbot's malfunctioning eyes.     "L-Like I said, I have no idea.." Marie nervously clutched on her notepad. "Are there any repairers available?" "Well... There was one..." 

Marie looked at the automatic metal door behind them. There was a shadow of a tall, skinny man with a glowing hazel eye. "...Dox..." Phil glared at his brother. "Hello. You needed me?" Dox said in his deep, unnerving voice. "s...sorry..." Marie hid her face in her notepad, slowly backing away. "sigh, I suppose so. There's something wrong with Frogbot." Dox approached the blue bot. "Already? He was out of beta mode a week ago..." Phil shuttered at Dox's voice. "Listen, we have a tight schedule, so can you fix him or not?" "Of course, that's what I'm here for... now this was a collab between QUALIA and us, correct?" "Yeah. But the main QUALIA base is in Japan, so it's not like we can call them up."

 "Not anymore..."

"Huh?"

"Some of the people who worked there moved here temporarily, I think the owner is included." Phil stared at Dox, who was observing Frogbot. He wondered how exactly he knew this information. "Alright... when can they arrive?" Dox let go of Frogbot who was still malfunctioning. "I think they can arrive in an hour." "Alright, then, call them over."

"Sure thing.."

15 minutes gone by, Frogbot is now tied up to a wall. His screen started flickering as he struggled to move. His head aggressively started shaking, making a clicking noise. Marie was at the door, staring at Frogbot, realizing how scary the bot looked. She looked outside, and walked out, the door closing behind her.

Click click click click...