The Truth

"How come I didn't get welcomed into anything?" asked Seth as Cast took the box from Isabella with a wink.

"For safekeeping, dear," he said before turning to Seth. "And you, young man, have been allowed to remain a guardian due to your display."

"Which means what? And wasn't I already one of those?"

"It is never a certainty when one is a debut," said Cast.

"So, now it is?"

Cast did not answer.

Isabella did not like these cryptic people and their strange tasks. "So, do we get our wishes now?" she spat at Satrina.

Satrina smiled. "Before you receive your prize, you must perform a rite of passage and swear allegiance to the Greens, as we have presented you with your debut tasks and are offering you such an enormous and rare gift-a wish."

Seth's expression grew dark as he stepped slightly in front of Isabella. "We're not swearing our allegiance to anyone," Seth said.

Stepping out of the shadow his protective body created, Isabella stood tall at his side. "Why do we have to do that?"

"You must, now that you have begun your debut challenge under our care," said Satrina.

"You never said anything about swearing an oath," Isabella continued.

"This is something you have no choice over," Satrina said, her features darkening.

Cast blinked slowly, taking a sip of wine from a chalice that seemed to materialize out of nothing. "Listen to Satrina, children. This is the way things are done here."

"Well, your ways suck!" Seth's emotions grew hot, taking over the protective coolness that Isabella had become so used to that she was beginning not to notice. "We're leaving!"

Isabella's heart raced. They had to leave. She knew that now. But she also knew these people were not going to make it easy. The Greens of the Valley stared at them, expressionless, until finally Satrina smiled, slow and cold.

"Seth, what do we do?"

"I'm thinking."

"Debuts are so charming," said Satrina.

"We want so see who is in charge, your savior... or what not...," Seth said, shocking Isabella. What was he doing?

"Well," Satrina laughed, its echo floating through the clearing, "we'd like to see him too, but he's not here."

"Why not if he's so powerful? Why wouldn't he be here with you if he's your master or whatever the heck you call him," Seth continued.

"He is our light, and yes, our master," the priestess explained calmly. "We know his power can provide for our people, for us all."

"I think that's a load of bull," said Seth.

No one seemed phased by Seth's reaction. Instead, they turned their heads toward the thicket of trees as a little boy Isabella recognized all too well was brought forward. He held the hand of a young woman dressed like all the others.

"Ah, yes," said the priestess. "Bring the boy to me."

"Satrina," Key said, stepping forward, back straight and chest high. "I do not think Master Heel would approve of this."

"Blood! Apropos that your riddle had such an answer. This boy and the one he serves are direct threats to our master's goals," Satrina said, turning to the boy.

"Our master loves this child," said Cast.

Satrina laughed, chilling Isabella's heart. "Yes. A foolish weakness on his part. We are not going to kill him. We will merely bleed him."