𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE:SUPPOSED TO PROTECT THEM

SUPPOSED TO PROTECT THEM

     "YOU'RE SAFE IN HERE," OLIVIA promised, tightly tucking the blankets to the point where the twins couldn't escape. They were scared, she could see that. Ivory was holding onto Amethyst, trying her best to calm her sister's shaking and keeping her own fear that she felt from her eyes. Olivia sighed, placing kisses on both of their foreheads and managing a small smile as she looked at them. "Nothing will harm you, alright? Nat and I will be just a floor below. We have an alarm, there's a team of heroes that would lay their lives down in order to protect you girls. Plus, your mother has enhanced hearing and will hear danger coming from a mile away, so you don't need to worry, alright?"

     They nodded their heads, but Ivory was the one to speak up. "You'll be back though, right? You're not going out tonight are you? We don't want to be alone."

     Olivia smiled, placing a hand on the blonde's cheek. "I won't be going anywhere tonight, I promise. Get some rest girls. We'll talk in the morning." She stood up, walking out of the room, turning on the nightlight as she passed it before closing the door. She stared down at the door knob, sighing to herself before exiting her room and making her way to the meeting that had started without her.

Olivia entered, coming to a stop at the bottom of the stairs, taking a seat on them as she watched the group. Bruce sat there at the computer, flipping through files and shaking his head as he did so. Tony was standing in front of a destroyed suit, looking down at it, or more so through it. Maria was standing to the side with Dr. Cho. Clint was standing a few steps above Olivia. Steve was leaning against a table. Natasha was examining the weapons. And Thor. . . well, Thor wasn't in the room yet.

     Bruce sighed. "All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out. He used the internet as an escape hatch."

     "Ultron," Steve muttered. His eyes flickered over to Tony.

     "He's been in everything." Natasha spoke up, glancing away from the weapons as she looked over Bruce's shoulder. "Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other." She turned away from the computer, spotting Olivia and subtly making her way over to her, joining her side on the step and softly asking, "How are they?"

     "Shaken up," Olivia whispered back. "I told them we can't go anywhere tonight, so after this we need to go back to the room." Natasha nodded, not saying anything else as they turned back to the conversation.

     "He's in your files, he's in the internet." Rhodey pushed himself away from the wall he had been leaning against. "What if he decides to access something a little more interesting?"

     "Nuclear codes," Maria realized.

     Rhodey nodded towards her. "Nuclear codes." He paused. "Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can."