A letter

"God..." Y/N covered their face with their arm and turned to the other side to avoid the light. Soon after, the side they were facing got exposed to that familiar, blinding light from before.

"Good morning, Sir Y/N." Silas smirked and fixed the curtains he just rolled up.

"Why in God's name have you woken me up so early." They winced and sat up.

"It's a beautiful day my Lord! You should be enjoying it." He smiled and kneeled down Infront of me, unbuttoning my night shirt.

Beautiful day, hm? I looked out the window to meet the sun burning my eyes, but I got used to it shortly after. There were two birds flying freely in the sky. Everyone says that they want to be a bird. The thought of freedom, curiousness without consequences, the ability to fly in the sky, know that nothing could hurt you up there. It must be refreshing. "I wish I could fly."

"If you want to fly you must give up everything that is weighing you down, my lord." Silas responded as he was halfway done with dressing me, just buttoning up my vest. 

I looked at him with widened eyes. I didn't mean to say that out loud, that must have been silly to hear. I wasn't lying, though. Flying seems peaceful. "I suppose you make a point," I swallow down my pride and look in his eyes. "however I don't believe I didn't ask for your opinion."

He chuckled and lifted my foot, putting on my shoes. "Yes, but I had a feeling it was needed. My apologizes, sir." 

He always said those corny inspiring quotes and I'd rather be found dead in hole somewhere then admit he was right. He put my gloves on and stood up while I fixed my gloves so they didn't feel uncomfortable against my skin. "What are the plans for today?" 

He smiled. "Alice is preparing breakfast and you got a letter from the Queen. I put it in your study already. The boy who dropped it off was such a kind and respectful boy." He lent a handout to me, and I took it.

I rolled my eyes and then thought about what he said. A note from the Queen? Was it a request? She hasn't given me a job in ages, how important was it? I brushed past Silas and made my way to my study room.

---

I sat down and opened the letter.

"Hello, the Earl of the L/N household,

I am here to inform you of some saddening news. There is a new killer on the loose, people call him 'Jack the Ripper'. We don't know much, only that he is targeting women of all ages with no pattern in particular. This will be a difficult case however, so I will be teaming you up with another one of my best men. I have already informed the other party and you will be going to his residence tomorrow evening to discuss your plans; I'll be sending a personal carriage. I trust you for this mission, don't disappoint me now.

Be safe and think smart, thank you.

- Queen Victoria"

Paired up with someone? Jack the Ripper? You would think this is some sort of joke but no, it was indeed the Queen's handwriting. Just in time, Silas came through the door with a tray holding my breakfast.

"Do you know who I will be paired up with on this mission?" I asked as I reread the note to myself.

He shook his head and put down the tray next to me. "I know as much as you if not less, my Lord."

"That's a shame." I put the down the letter and looked at my breakfast, sausage eggs and orange juice. It was a normal breakfast besides from the random orange juice. I like orange juice don't get me wrong, but in this case, it was odd for it to be put with sausage eggs. I won't complain though, Alice would just mess it up more if I did. 

"May I?" Silas gestured to the note, asking to read it. I nodded my head and pushed it closer to him. He read over it while humming to himself every so often.

I wasn't in the mood to eat. I pushed the plate away and thought to myself. A new killer in town, hm? Why now? There have been very little crime cases in London lately, I knew it was too good to be true.

Before I knew it, Silas handed me back the letter. "It must be an important case then."

I glared at him and slumped down in my chair slightly. "To the point I'm apparently too weak to handle it on my own." I hissed. 

"I'm sure that wasn't the Queen's intention, sir." He put his hands behind his back in a polite manner.

I thought for a moment then straighten my posture.

"Silas, I want you to find out everything you can about this 'Jack the Ripper' then report it back to me. I know you can figure out more than the Queen can, you're more reliable in these cases. Find out how many women he has killed, when he does his killings, the time of all the deaths, where they were found, even things you don't think that actually matter! I need more information on this regardless of what that information is. I don't care what you do to get it, just give me the information I need. I'll give you until 12 pm, understood?" I looked at the clock. It read 8:13 am on its dull, faded Roman Numerals.

He bowed and stood back up shortly after. "Why of course my lord, consider it done." 

"And take this, god awful orange juice out of my sights." I pushed it towards him and turned to the side.

He just smiled, took the orange juice, and like that he left. I knew I could trust him with such a simple mission. It might seem like a lot with such little time for any normal butler. He was far from normal, not like anyone besides from him and myself knew that.

I stood up and smiled to myself. Who would I be paired up with? It's exciting to meet someone who is apparently just as good as me when it comes to investigations. I looked through my library and grabbed a random book. 'Edgar Allan Poe' read the author's name. I've heard some of his other works and met him personally myself. He was a good man with a true talent for writing such bizarre yet meaningful poems. I hummed to myself and sat back down with the book.

I flipped to a random page, and the title read 'The Raven'. I tilted my head in interest then yelled to any butler near my study. "Someone get me some tea! You can't expect me to die from dehydration!" I heard rustling outside my door and smiled, content with my surroundings. I finally started on the poem.

"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary..."