A childhood dream

On this 14th of February, Valentine's Day, Betty was sitting on her sofa, waiting for her dearest boyfriend, Archie Andrews. The two childhood friends had been a couple for a few months, and Betty couldn't be happier: she had loved Archie since he moved in across the street from her when they were still in kindergarten. But, unfortunately, the poor blonde had been waiting for her boyfriend for more than two hours already.

She had prepared everything for them to have the best Valentine's Day ever: she had cooked a good meal, had set the dining room table with a red tablecloth and little paper hearts, and had prepared herself for hours for the occasion. Betty had asked her best friend, Veronica Lodge, to help her dress and get ready. Veronica was a fashion professional and was very happy that Betty asked for her help. So, the two girls chose a pink lace dress that came to the knees of the pretty blonde; with that, Veronica did Betty's hair, she curled her beautiful blond hair to change from her usual ponytail.

The two best friends had prepared the meal together while chatting, and Veronica had left to leave some intimacy to Betty and Archie. But, as announced, this one had still not arrived. The redhead next door spent his days at the boxing gym Veronica's father had given him to train with his friends; and for the past few weeks, this boxing gym had become his new home.

Betty was waiting for him though, telling herself in her head that he would arrive soon or that he had a problem to solve first. The poor one was waiting alone in the sofa, her parents having left to spend the weekend in Paris for the Valentine's day. The meal was now cold, and the pretty blonde became more and more desperate as time passed. Three hours late and not a single message. Archie didn't answer messages or calls from his worried girlfriend, who had probably even forgotten what day it was.

After another ten minutes or so, Betty sighed, tears streaming down her cheeks, removing most of the makeup Veronica had put on her. "Great, I'm going to be alone on Valentine's Day, again," Betty muttered to herself as the tears now flowed freely down her cheeks.

The poor blonde didn't know what to do anymore: Veronica was celebrating Valentine's Day in a fancy restaurant with her boyfriend Reggie, and the poor meal they had been hard at work preparing for most of the day was getting cold on the table. So much effort for nothing, Betty thought. How could Archie have forgotten about Valentine's Day? He knew very well that it was one of the most important days in Betty's eyes.

Then, after having poured some more tears, Betty left in her room to remove her pink dress in lace which she had put for the occasion. Instead, she put on her usual pajamas: gray shorts with a pink t-shirt, then removed the little makeup she had left because of her tears. To finish, she put her usual ponytail back in place before returning to the living room, crying.

Archie still didn't answer; Betty was both sad and angry with him. She was sure he was still training at his boxing gym; he couldn't get enough. Every day he spent hours there boxing, doing push-ups and other physical exercises. Betty wondered why he was even doing this, the redhead next door was already very muscular for his age. He was seventeen, but looked at least twenty-two.

Betty, to be honest, found all these muscles repulsive, but said to herself every time that there is not only the physical one which counts, but the heart and the mental one, too. But the pretty blonde was really getting tired of it: for a few weeks, Archie almost ignored her. Their romantic idyll will not have lasted so long as that, because the redhead preferred to spend his days in his boxing gym rather than with his girlfriend. It is true, the two were together only for a few months: the first weeks were incredible, they had even made their first time together, but these last weeks were monotonous for Betty. She felt neglected, which was true, by the way.

So, not knowing what to do, Betty decided to call Jughead Jones, her childhood best friend. Jughead, Archie and her had grown up together and were inseparable, but the blonde had left him out since she was dating Archie. So Betty had no one that night: Veronica being with Reggie, Archie probably at his boxing gym, and her parents in Paris. No one but Jughead. She knew the young man very well and knew that he would probably be at Pop's, the town diner, eating a cheeseburger while writing the continuation of his novel on his computer that he carries everywhere with him.