Chapter 7: Being Watched

Maya and I were spending the day in our dorm room studying

Maya and I were spending the day in our dorm room studying. Who am I kidding-I was studying while she was painting her nails. I looked down at my book and sighed in frustration, because no matter what I did I just couldn't concentrate. Zane and everything that happened at the frat party kept re-playing in my head over and over. I was wondering, what if he's really out there watching me like some crazed, obsessed stalker. Damn, I hate that he's making me feel so paranoid. I slammed my book shut and let out a big sigh while looking over at Maya.

She stopped painting her nails and glanced over at me while saying, "Okay, you've been sighing for the last five minutes which is code for something's wrong, but I'm not using my words to explain what it is, so how about you just tell me what's going on Lexi? I want to help you, but I can't unless you tell me what's wrong?"

I figured maybe she could offer some helpful advice or at least help ease my mind. I put down my book as I started to explain, "Well, ever since the frat party things have been weird..."

"Weird how?"Maya asked as her brow furrowed.

"I keep thinking maybe it's nothing, that it's all just in my head, but no matter where I go I can't shake this creepy feeling that I'm being watched, maybe it's because... of the whole Zane frat party incident. I can't stop thinking, what if he's out there watching me, waiting until I'm alone to get me?"I anxiously replied while biting my nails.

Maya looked at me with concern while setting down her nail polish bottle on the table. Then she walked over and sat next to me on the couch.

"Hey, I'm not gonna let that creep get you okay, but you shouldn't let him make you feel scared to live your life or ruin your nails in the process."Maya replied while pulling my hand away from my mouth to prevent me from biting my nails.

"I'm not scared to live my life."I stated while looking away.

"Really, so when was the last time you went out by yourself?"Maya questioned while staring me down.

I shrugged and replied,"I umm...went to class this morning..."

"Yeah with me, that's not exactly by yourself."Maya said while looking at me.

I bit my lip and tried to think of a last time I went anywhere by myself.

"Well there was the time I...uhhh...."I started to say, but stopped when my thoughts went blank.

"You what?"She asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Damn..."I grumbled under my breath. Then I crossed my arms over my chest and sighed in frustration, because I couldn't remember the last time I went out without Maya.

"See, you didn't even go to the library, and you usually go there every day. I'm worried about you."Maya said with concern.

This whole Zane situation was seriously making me angry. I mean, how could I let him make me feel this way? How could I let him make me feel so scared that I wasn't living my life the way I usually do? I was always taught to face my problems head on and right now I felt like I was running away from them by hiding in my room. I'm happy I talked to Maya about this, because it made me realize that as scared as I felt there was no way I was going to let him win. I'll be damned if I let anyone make me live my life in fear.