St. James

Daisy Kendall St. James is what most people refer to as a Chamaeleon. She can fit in any situation with any type of person. At home, she is the perfect daughter who is always home on time and never talks back. The chores are done before they're even asked to be done and her little sister is always kept in line.

At school she is the perfect student, she has never missed a day in her entire school career and has a 4.5 GPA. Rumor has it she's been receiving college applications since the 8th grade.

And outside of school, she's out getting stoned with her best friend Rue Bennett, well she was, Rue's been away. Kendall knew about Rue's addiction before it even Rue knew about it. The panic attacks and anxiety Rue suffered from only got worse when her father was diagnosed with cancer ended with her being prescribed liquid Valium, opening the doorway to her first experience with addictive drugs. It wasn't long before Rue stumbled into Kendall's bed one night and confessed to taking some of her dad's pills. It was then that Kendall knew Rue would die from the hands of drugs and there was nothing she could do about it.

"Hey, is it okay if I stay at Rue's tonight?" Kendalls whispered from the doorway of the living room. Her dad sat there in silence with his gaze fixated on the TV in front of him. If you didn't know Conrad St. James you would assume he didn't hear you but Kendall knew he heard her he was just using his silence as a power trip to scare her into backing down. Conrad hated when Kendall would leave the house to go somewhere other than school. He knew Kendall was a beautiful young girl and was conceived she was out getting into trouble with the "whores and drug addicts" she calls friends but he didn't have the proof it back it up so he ground her any chance he got or would simply start fights to ruin her night so she has no the energy to go out. He was manipulative resulting in Kendall having to be three steps ahead, Conrad was smart but she was smarter.

"You mean the Junkie?" He questioned turning his recliner to face her. The entire room was dark except for the light of the TV flashing against half his face only letting her see his eyes. He refused to break eye contact hoping his intense staredown would make her back down but all it did was give her goosebumps. He's never physically abused her but he's mentally exhausting.

"She's sober now."

"Once a Junkie always a Junkie."

"Dont call her that." Kendall snapped defending her best friend. She knew Rue wasn't sober but the word "junkie" left a sour taste in her mouth.

"Or What" He challenged her standing up from his chair to tower over her.

"Dad please she's drug tested regularly, one slip up and she back to rehab." Kendall lied. "We're staying at her house and I can send you pictures every hour for proof."

"What about Penny?" He asked referring to her little sister. Conrad loved using Penny against her and knowing this Kendall made sure she was fed, bathed, and sleeping before even bothering to ask.

"She's sleeping."

"When will you be back?"

"8 am"

"6 am" He countered hoping she would fight back so he could ground her for being defiant.

"Okay," She agreed. She knew he was going to challenge her so she said purposely said eight knowing he would change it six thinking she would fight back. In all honesty, she knew she probably wouldn't even spend the might at Rue's and end up sneaking back in through her window around three AM. "I'll see you in the morning."

Kendall quickly left the house locking the door behind her before grabbing her bike off the side of the house and making her way over to Rue's house. They lived about ten minutes apart so about twenty on the bike, fifteen if she pushed herself. Her dad refused to let her get her license saying if she can't afford to pay for her own car or insurance she
didn't need a license. But really he was afraid she would pack her car and leave in the middle of the night. He relied on Kendall to be his scapegoat for his anger and at the same time a mother for Penny.